Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:01 am

I just finished watching Lost in Austen. Wonderful premise, completely out of control and occasionally gaggy after the first hour. Too bad they couldn't have found a way to snip snip snip and simply make it entertaining movie.

Also finally saw Harry Potter today. Another one that was too long, though I blame the director rather than the script. Good God, the pacing on that thing. Otherwise I thought it was pretty creditable if bleak. Beautifully shot. Maybe so beautifully that they couldn't stand to trim out any of their beautiful shots. Sometimes less is more. I was sitting in the theater thinking I would enjoy it better as a miniseries...

Kind of ironic since I then went home and watched a mini series I thought I'd like better as a movie.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

alt_Toza
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby alt_Toza » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 am

Really really upset I can't make Dragon*Con this year. Planning a three-point convention tour next in 2010 - home to Blighty to see folks, then to Vancouver to the Supernatural convention, then to Atlanta for Dragon*Con.

Well, that's the *plan*...
---

http://twitter.com/TozaBoma

"I don't wanna stoop that low - Kirk wouldn't stoop that low."
"That was a television show, John. And he made Priceline commercials."

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah, I know. In this thing he looks prettier and more feminine than she does. .. :raspberry:
Image.Image

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 pm

:lol:

We went to see Harry Potter on its first night of release. Emily was frothing at the mouth...almost as badly as she was when she started reading the Twilight series. That kid can go through books in record time. I enjoyed Harry Potter, though. I actually scared some poor little kids behind me when I practically jumped through the roof during that one scene. Emily thought it was hysterical.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Which scene?
Image.Image

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 am

The scene where Dumbledore and Harry are in the dark cave. Harry goes to the water with that shell (or something similar) and you just knew someone or something was going to grab his hand. I still took a rather significant leap out of my seat. :roll: Of course then we couldn't stop laughing which became kind of inappropriate when there was a character death. But once I start giggling, it becomes pretty hard to stop.

I hope that cold leaves you alone. Have a safe trip.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 am

Oh yeah, that. Well, giggling was probably the best way to survive the end of that movie.

I still have a scratchy throat, but I kind of assume the flu hits a lot harder than this, so I'm going to go. Have a good week and maybe I'll be able to sneak on my dad's computer once in awhile.
Image.Image

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:49 pm

rANDOM aDVENTURES iNSIDE EkAYAK'S COMPUTER:

Our computer keeps running at 98 degrees Celsius (over 200F) according to the core thermometer. We still use vista (which y'know I have working pretty well now...sort of akin to balancing a bunch of plates and saucers in a circus-like stack...you're fine as long as you're just standing there, not trying to do much of anything. :lol:).... Anyway, the heat keeps causing a bluescreenofdeath stop error and it restarts (to, I assume, stop the core from reaching warp-capable levels and blasting our house into the outer reaches of the solar system).

We use our comp as our TV, and aureilia will be watching a show in her highchair while I'm cooking, and I walk in to see the computer all freshly restarted, and I ask what happened. "Oh, just another blue screen of death," she replies, her cute little three year old voice dripping with a "whaddya expect" cynicism.

So today I got proactive:

I opened the computer box and got in there (carefully) with my vacuum nozzle. I made sure the fans got dusted out and everything, and there was a LOTTA cat and dog and human detritus in that machine. Then I noticed that the fan directly over the processor thingy had a sort of strange grey felt pad inside it. After clanking around for a minute, I found an ever-so-convenient clamp that made it let go. The processor had this thin layer of gummy stuff on it and so did the wee radiator block...right where they touched. I scraped it with my fingernail and it came off like soft chalky latex rubber. Lee said it looked liked oxidized aluminum or some such. Maybe it was supposed to be there. I dunno. I scraped it off.

The radiator block was utterly stuffed with the dead skin and hair of several mammals. The weird grey felt pad. Yuk. I vacuumed it and then, with my sweaty little paws, tried to clip the fan block all back on to the motherboard doohickey. Once it was finally on, I got the box cover back on, and no one would ever know I had been Tuckering around in there. :twisted:

And now it's ticking along at a lovely 70C (160 F). No more Blue Screen of Death.

See? See? See my saucer stack? It's just fine. Windows is fine. :vulcan:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Wow enterprikayak... wow. That reminds me of the time when my computer got so dusty that I took it outside and used the leaf blower on it. It gave the fans quite a workout but it worked.

160F is still up there, though. Did it always run that warm?

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Gah my poor little brain is melting. Like right now I got like half a billion Justice League fics running around in there. Well okay it's actually somewhere between 4 and 7 I'm not sure. But yeah :? :explode: :faint: and I don't know which one I should write first (that is if I ever get around to it :? :roll: ) like obviously there's the first one in the series, but it's LONG it's gonna take me like forever. Then there's one that's supposed to be short but it's supposed to be like somewhere in the middle of the series. And in the meantime I'm just :explode: :banghead: :faint: :dunno: plus there's my evil ENT fic that I already started like ages ago and haven't finished yet. GAAAAHHHH :explode: :explode: :explode:
ImageImage

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 pm

My son and I are planning to go the Stargate Convention tomorrow to get a picture with.........Connor Trineer!!!

I am so nervous. :upchuck:

My son is a gaga over the idea of meeting "Trip!" I don't even watch Stargate. (my son is watching an episode of SG-1 right now though) I hope its worth paying what we are to go. I hope they have some vendors that sell stuff other than Stargate. :?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:50 am

Aw Stargate is COOL. Why don't you give it a chance? Um just so you know CT's played a psycho alien bad guy with a very intense make-up job. Don't be surprised if you find out he turns into the high king of creepy with this character.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 am

I should have done more "homework" before this con! I know he was "Michael" a "Wraith" and that he died. Yup - that's about it!

I think I'l let my son do all the talking. At least it will be okay if acts strange and doesn't make a lot of sense (he's 5!). :? Steven is quite cute and charming, if I must say so myself, so I'll just follow his lead and smile a lot. We can't stay for CT onstage appearance - I have to take Steven to a pool party - but I certainly want a picture!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:49 am

All I can say is you may be slightly um... Confused.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:10 am

I was looking through the smileys when I come across this one called "Tsk Tsk": :tsktsk:

At a glance it totally looks like it's waving the bird at me.

Return to “General Chat”