Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Randomness

Postby panyasan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:26 am

WarpGirl wrote:Aw Stargate is COOL. Why don't you give it a chance?

My husband has been on a "SG 1 and SG Altantis"-streak for the past months. With the music on. Really, I have heard more SG then I have seen ("Love, can you turn the sound of your laptop down, so I can tell a bed time story to our daughter?'') and I can take no more! :banghead: :banghead: :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Postby dark_rain » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:31 am

enterprikayak wrote:So today I got proactive:

I opened the computer box and got in there (carefully) with my vacuum nozzle. I made sure the fans got dusted out and everything, and there was a LOTTA cat and dog and human detritus in that machine. Then I noticed that the fan directly over the processor thingy had a sort of strange grey felt pad inside it. After clanking around for a minute, I found an ever-so-convenient clamp that made it let go. The processor had this thin layer of gummy stuff on it and so did the wee radiator block...right where they touched. I scraped it with my fingernail and it came off like soft chalky latex rubber. Lee said it looked liked oxidized aluminum or some such. Maybe it was supposed to be there. I dunno. I scraped it off.

Eeeeeeee that was a mistake. The grey stuff is thermal transfer compound, it helps remove heat from the processor by filling all the little air gaps between the cooler and the processor. It's a bit like the coolant in your car. The radiator does all the work, but the water is what takes the heat out of the engine. You could run into big problems later, lass. You're also dead lucky to get away with the vacuum. Moving air creates static electricity, and static electricity is bad news. See also Electrostatic Discharge
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 am

Dusalis Drake wrote:I was looking through the smileys when I come across this one called "Tsk Tsk": :tsktsk:

At a glance it totally looks like it's waving the bird at me.

Who are you "tsk tsk"ing?

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 pm

I think maybe you're misunderstanding him. I think he's just saying that at first glance the "tsk tsk" smiley looks similar to having a middle finger flashed at you.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:43 pm

So today at work this kid was walking on his legs and hands; while I was hanging up shirts his mother asked me, "Could you tell him to walk properly? Maybe he'll listen to you." I didn't even know what to say to that. :vulcan: That's one of my pet peeves, when people want us to do their parenting.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:48 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:So today at work this kid was walking on his legs and hands; while I was hanging up shirts his mother asked me, "Could you tell him to walk properly? Maybe he'll listen to you." I didn't even know what to say to that. :vulcan: That's one of my pet peeves, when people want us to do their parenting.

OMG! My son starts kindergarten on Thursday. I can't imagine asking that kind of thing.

So.............My son and I met Connor Trinner today at the Stargate Con. Our meeting was very, very brief, :cry: I'll fill in the details later and post the pic (but I can't do that until Monday when I can use scanner to put it in). He was very nice and his on stage appearance was a blast. He's a very down to earth funny average kind of guy. He got a lot of Enterprise questions, oddly enough. And he is extremely, extremely handsome in person, too, by the way.
:faint:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 am

Glad you had fun and I hope all the SG stuff was worth it for that. :lol:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:10 am

WarpGirl wrote:I don't really know CX. BUT I found out something wonderful today. As most everyone knows my niece died this past week. So any stupid little thing that makes me smile is helpful. Well I'm bot sure if anyone else knows this book series "The Queen's Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner but there is a new book coming out in MARCH. These books are my favorite series EVER! I've been obsessed with them for years. These are not kids books although they are marketed that way, these are deep, insightful, insanely complex stories. The characters and psychological impact is stunning. I'm so happy I'm getting another book. :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump:

I'm like that when a book I've been waiting for shows up too. And then I tune out and sit and read until it is done. Lee's like, okay girls, say goodbye to mommy, cause we won't see her again for awhile.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:49 am

Aikiweezie wrote:So.............My son and I met Connor Trinner today at the Stargate Con. Our meeting was very, very brief, :cry: I'll fill in the details later and post the pic (but I can't do that until Monday when I can use scanner to put it in). He was very nice and his on stage appearance was a blast. He's a very down to earth funny average kind of guy. He got a lot of Enterprise questions, oddly enough. And he is extremely, extremely handsome in person, too, by the way.

Hey! You were just going to sneak this in under "Randomness"? NO! This deserves a "Stargate Con" thread. Go start one. :) We are anxiously awaiting the scanner picture and any new "facts" you gleaned from the question and answer session. :D
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Dusalis Drake wrote:Wow enterprikayak... wow. That reminds me of the time when my computer got so dusty that I took it outside and used the leaf blower on it. It gave the fans quite a workout but it worked.

160F is still up there, though. Did it always run that warm?

Yeah this was full-on surgery. The dust was packed in so bad, that the vacuum hardly touched it. Leaf Blower. Now THAT"S an idea! lol

I dunno if it was always this hot. Maybe. I am always running at 100% capacity of the CPU. Even though my comp's not too horrible....3GB RAM and 3Ghz processor.....but since I'm always rendering things and whatnot, I think really need one of those loser-type, liquid-cooled "rigs" that the computer magazines always man on about. I bet a bunch of us Tris members have external thermometers and liquid cooling systems and whatnot. I'll be an official nerd if I get one. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello everyone! I'm baaaack! :wave:

I spent one week with my parents in Prague, and then I stayed with them for a few days after we got back to Sweden. Then I drove to see a friend of mine in another town and to see his baby girl for the first time. I just got back home yesterday. It feels like I've been away for ages.

Now my vacation is over and tomorrow I go back to work.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

justTripn wrote:
Aikiweezie wrote:So.............My son and I met Connor Trinner today at the Stargate Con. Our meeting was very, very brief, :cry: I'll fill in the details later and post the pic (but I can't do that until Monday when I can use scanner to put it in). He was very nice and his on stage appearance was a blast. He's a very down to earth funny average kind of guy. He got a lot of Enterprise questions, oddly enough. And he is extremely, extremely handsome in person, too, by the way.

Hey! You were just going to sneak this in under "Randomness"? NO! This deserves a "Stargate Con" thread. Go start one. :) We are anxiously awaiting the scanner picture and any new "facts" you gleaned from the question and answer session. :D

I will issue a full report - with picture - tomorrow evening.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26 am

So I start a new second job tomorrow (I quit the plant), and I have some errands to run before I go, but natch I'm totally awake when I should be in bed.

I bought a package of cookies from the bakery at the grocery store to bring with me, to offer to the coworkers and clients. Brown nosing already. :roll:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:40 am

Good luck. Hope this one leaves you with a little more time/energy for yourself.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks, Alelou,, but the time/energy thing is a no-go, I'm afraid. I took this job because it's closer to campus, which is an hour away, so I can go to my classes, go to work, and then go home, without blowing an hour of potentially productive time on the road. I am keeping my regular job, but I may end up cutting back on hours a little.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “General Chat”