Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 am

FERPA, huh? Interesting.

7:30 AM? That's late for me. I'm usually up for work by 2:30 AM. You get used to it after a while.

I have fond memories of that college. I met Eric there. :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am

7:30 is mostly cruel to those with a long commute. (And there are a few of those.) There are some student apartments mostly populated by the football team, apparently, but this is a commuter school so the early hour is actually helping those folks find parking they might otherwise never get. I know from my previous teaching and my own college days that early classes are just deadly if you're trying to live in a dorm, but none of these students do.

HVCC has a strong reputation with good acceptance and transfer of credits into four year schools. So I've got everything from GED students and those who barely squeaked through high school (quite a few of them) to students who are very focused on a career path who figure this is the cheapest, most direct path to that career, and others who fully intend to get a four-year degree and beyond but figure this is going to save them a whole lot of tuition for their first two years of college.

I think it's a beautiful philosophy, open admission. On the other hand, is it really fair to call it an open admission school if you can't park once you get there? The sad math is that they're waiting for the students who were screw-ups in high school and still can't get their act together to start dropping out, and then there will be parking for everybody. But they're also currently building a parking garage, thank God.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Alelou - that's awful! The commuunity college I used to work at didn't have that problem (thank goodness), but my husband went to the University of Illinois at Chicago and by the time he graduated he had accumulated HUNDREDS of parking tickets. Boy, were his parents surprised when they got the bill! Pay up or no diploma! Truly, though, many times there was NO PLACE to park - of course he could have left earlier and found a spot, but that's another story.....

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Parking wasn't a big deal for me really. Thanks to the little plaque saying "Perminently Disabled" BUT what was a problem was pushing the wheelchair to building after building, struggling up colossal ramps, and automatic doors that didn't always work properly. So I had a perminent note saying you couldn't mark me absant unless more than fifteen minutes late.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 pm

The poster sale was today - there's always one the first week of classes - and in the giant postcard section they had Trek postcards. Nothing especially good, though. No ENT. :( They had Odo... you know, that heartthrob, Odo. :roll: And Sisko, and Riker, and a TNG cast photo. Oh, and Spock. But nothing I really wanted to put on my wall so much. I thought, these people aren't very business-savvy with the characters they're choosing! No fun space shots, either. But I got a little print of Starlight over Rhone.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 pm

Any Posters of Tom Paris? :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 am

No. Have you seen the rare photos sections of TrekCore, though? Past months have featured some good ones of Tom.
This month, check out CT on a break from "Desert Crossing".

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:15 am

I like this one. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:24 am

Now if only that big sword would chop off 7's head! :guffaw: For the record I don't hate 7 because she's hot or an interesting character (because as an adult I admit she is) BUT I do hate her because she took over the entire VOY series, and that was WRONG! :explode: :bitch:

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 am

Hmm. True.

But I think her takeover was infinitely better than Kes' non-takeover. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:52 am

Don't go there please. Personally I didn't need either of them Janeway and Torres fulfilled my feminazi needs perfectly. But I guess the guys were going for a Blond, Brunette, Red-head trio.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I thought Seven was cool and waaaay more interesting than Kes.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Well yeah compared to Kes anyone is awesome. But did she have to take over the enitre show! :evil:

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Again, for some of us, that was an improvement. 8)
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 pm

I guess. But personally I like ST to be about the crew not one person. Even if it's my favorite person I still wouldn't like it.

Fics

Return to “General Chat”