Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: What are you...

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Marc, Perhaps you have heard of Settle's Public Market? it once was a rabbit warren of second hand stores (Now known as thrift stores) of all kinds. You should have seen the things my mother would drag home with her. Why in Hell she bought a used kids Chemistry set that didn't have the manual, only had a few botles of chemicals left and no equipment. Or Tennis raquets with half of the strings broken and the wooden frames bent. She once brought home a Tweed Suit with a weave like a throw rug. She loved to spend the entiire day there. I am not sure how many levels there were in it. There were small hole in the wall eating places too. Not sure if it still exists but once it was an institution. My Brother and I have bought coins and currency there in one of small coin shops in it. Old comic books can be had too for a price. If it was like Portobello road in London it might have some places that floged off stolen goods.

We shop at thrift stores, the Goodwill, salvation Army. You would be surprised what one can find in those places.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 pm

I watched a movie called The Emperor's Club absolutely brilliant! I am a sucker for a good "teacher" movie. And this incredibly good one has the added benifit of Kevin Kline and Steven Culp. Absolutely amazing.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:09 pm

went to a wedding with ellie and a bunch of her friends, had a blast!
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Did they wear pretty hats?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Marc, Perhaps you have heard of Settle's Public Market? it once was a rabbit warren of second hand stores (Now known as thrift stores) of all kinds. You should have seen the things my mother would drag home with her. Why in Hell she bought a used kids Chemistry set that didn't have the manual, only had a few botles of chemicals left and no equipment. Or Tennis raquets with half of the strings broken and the wooden frames bent. She once brought home a Tweed Suit with a weave like a throw rug. She loved to spend the entiire day there. I am not sure how many levels there were in it. There were small hole in the wall eating places too. Not sure if it still exists but once it was an institution. My Brother and I have bought coins and currency there in one of small coin shops in it. Old comic books can be had too for a price. If it was like Portobello road in London it might have some places that floged off stolen goods.

We shop at thrift stores, the Goodwill, salvation Army. You would be surprised what one can find in those places.

SB

No, I hadn't heard of that place, sorry! Yeah, I know you can sure get some fantastic bargains at thrift stores, etc - there's no way I could've got anywhere near the amount of clothing I did there if I wasn't shopping in a thrift store for it - and to run across a bedspread full of palm trees when I'm palm tree obsessed, how lucky was that too? Yeah, I've snagged some super deals at The Unique Thrift Store over the years, a few years ago I got an exercise bike for $6 (it doesn't keep track of things like it did when it was new, but what the hell - the wheels spin fine, so I can still get my exercise that way!) and last year my cats got one of those 3 level cat houses they sleep on all the time for only $15 (and that would've cost well over $100 at a pet shop if it was new; its as tall as I am), and I'd hate to guess at how much money I've saved on things like tupperware, silicone baking pans and other cookware/bakeware, and dig this - once I even got an imitation alligator or crocadile crossbody style purse thats got a ton of pockets in it for only $5 - yeah, you can really find some great deals if you go thrift store hunting for them, thats for sure! I envy how your mom used to spend the entire day shopping at that place, I'm usually doing good if I can shop for a half hour to an hour or so at The Unique Thrift Store before I'm flat ass broke again, but Extremely Happy with whatever fantastic finds I've found on any given "hunting trip" :guffaw:
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Marc, I am one of those oddballs who believe Glass is the best for baking. I had three glass Cake pans. Gave them to my daughter (who also is a nut for glass baking) one of them broke. she still has two but would like three as she often bakes a three layer cake. We have searched and even got in touch with the manufactuer. Nothiing. so our ony hope now is a thrift store.

SB

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Marc, I am one of those oddballs who believe Glass is the best for baking. I had three glass Cake pans. Gave them to my daughter (who also is a nut for glass baking) one of them broke. she still has two but would like three as she often bakes a three layer cake. We have searched and even got in touch with the manufactuer. Nothiing. so our ony hope now is a thrift store.

SB

Sorry, I don't use any type of glass when baking/cooking, not around my neuropathy (not to mention I'm like that proverbial bull in a china shop when it comes to being klutzy anyway); but since you're looking for a particular type of an item - have you tried looking on Ebay for it? Thats where I found my caftans as well as cheap accessories for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer my sister and her husband got me for Christmas the year before last. (BTW, I just contacted the sellers before bidding in their "Buy It Now" type of auctions to see if they'd let me pay for it with a money order instead because I can't use Paypal and they were perfectly willing to do that; though I would definatly get their permission about that first before putting in a bid on something); but Ebay can be a good place to look too if there's something in particular you want to try to find (and sometimes sellers can be pretty reasonable in their prices too. Its not as good as thrift store prices, but great if you need to find something in particular; though I wouldn't tell any potential seller you can't get it through the manufacturer; if they knew it was a hard to find item, you might end needing to pay more than you would from a possible seller who didn't realize that. (sorry I can't look for it here for you, but I only go to my beloved thrift store maybe once or twice a year; I wish I could afford to do it a helluva lot more often, but I just can't afford to even with their dirt cheap prices, sorry!)
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh, and sometimes you can find things on QVC too, I just thought of that - but they were the folks that got me hooked on silicone bakeware to begin with.

(If you're wondering how I could afford to shop on QVC when I can rarely afford thrift store prices even, that's easy - that's how I ended up owing my sister the majority of my Renter's Rebate when I got it last week. :guffaw: I haven't watched QVC on TV i(or gone on their website) in months though (I Have To stay away from there). "In The Kitchen With David" was one of my favorite TV shows back when I used to be a QVC addict, but their website has a ton of kitchen items, I do remember that).

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Marc, thanks very much. will pass on info to my daughter. Not to sure if she can afford That TV show thugh. e-bay sounds good. She buys thng there on occasion.

SB

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:19 am

I prefer baking in glass too. I ordered the Rectangular Roaster from this place. They also have cake pans.

http://www.simaxonline.com/

This is the only cookware made of borosilicate glass that I could find. Just in case anyone is curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass

From what I was able to research, Pyrex and is now made of soda glass. When reading their reviews on Amazon, I saw a just a few too many complaints about it shattering when heated.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-6021224-Sto ... addOneStar

Grrr

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 am

Silverbullet wrote:Marc, thanks very much. will pass on info to my daughter. Not to sure if she can afford That TV show thugh. e-bay sounds good. She buys thng there on occasion.

SB

You're more than welcome, SB - I know if I'm looking for a specific thing that couldn't take a more easily found generic version (like your looking for a harder to find glass cake pan rather than a plain metal cake pan a thrift store would probably have), I'll try to find it on ebay first rather than say the more expensive specialty stores that charge more. Actually, the reason I bought more than I should've from QVC in the past (though I don't do it anymore) was because my sister has a charge card with them and just told me that I could pay her back for anything I bought at QVC when I got my Renter's Rebate in August, so that was a real handy sort of thing. (Too handy actually - which is why I'm never doing that again :guffaw: ). But they do have some real bargains on the QVC.com website though - like I think there's always about 200+ items in their Kitchen Clearance department here: http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx?qp=class|3283&rewrite=no&cm_re=LN-_-DEPARTMENTS-_-KITCHENFOOD (which is where I did like 90% of my shopping there) and if there was something I wanted that wasn't a clearance item yet, I would usually either wait for it to go on clearance or keep checking back to see if it would ever go on their "Easy Pay" option so that would spread the payments out for multiple months on my sister's charge.

And too, like I got interested in silicone bakeware thanks to QVC (I bought a 13 piece silicone bakeware set for around $36 or so on clearance, if I remember correctly, it was quite awhile back) and so when I went to The Unique Thrift Store the last time (before this trip I just made there), well - I think I spent most of the money I got for Christmas stocking up on silicone bakeware (which was a lot cheaper at the thrift store than what QVC (or anyplace else) normally charges for it). I just watched "In The Kitchen With David" on QVC's TV show to see demonstrations of items, but as they usually only have one or two clearance items on the show (most things on TV are full price items) you are alot better off checking for Kitchen Clearance items on their website. Practically everything I owed Laurie for were just clearance things, but the reason I owed her alot when I got my Renter's Rebate was because this had been going on for the better part of a year actually and eventually it added up over time; you just don't realize how much it is when you usually only spend a little at a time repeatedly.

But anyway, while I'm steering clear of QVC personally (because it's way too easy to end up owing my sister alot of money that way I found out), they do have some really great bargains in their Kitchen Clearance department on their website if your daughter wants to check that out too. I know, I went broke frequenting that place too often and decided afterwards I'm just going to stick to buying used things at my favorite thrift store from now on (because I'd like to try to keep my Renter's Rebate next year instead of owing most of it to my sister over great bargains at QVC she let me stick on her charge card with them. Don't misunderstand, I really appreciated her letting me do that, but thats just too easy of a problem for me, since shopping at QVC.com on Laurie's charge card is almost as fun as going shopping at my favorite thrift store there; but I would recommend your daughter check out their website too, because I think they've got some really great bargains there too in their Kitchen Clearance department, I know I sure had a blast with it, :guffaw:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 pm

...doing?

Lying on the couch on the first day of my staycation, have a marvelous time wasting time online. Ahhh....
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Enjoy your rest, I have no idea why but on my TV today there is every crappy version of Robin Hood ever made. I'm in agony here. Kevin Costner's is rediculous (he didn't even try to have an accent) Russel Crow's is just dreary and depressing, and SYFY had a version on last night with some kind of freaky warewolf in it. I TURNED THAT OFF FAST! Why is everyone destroying Robin Hood these days?

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm

You need to watch "Robin Hood: Men In Tights". The definitive Robin Hood movie. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm

I don't mind that one I like farce and satire. What I very much mind is a Robin Hood where the hero has no irreverent irrepressible humor. Even in it's earliest incarnation Robin Hood is a trickster, a wit, depressing Robin Hoods need not apply.

That said, The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938 is the definitive cinimatic version.

Fics

Return to “General Chat”