I Know People Here...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: I Know People Here...

Postby CX » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm

enterprikayak wrote:so.... when you're all done being wrung out....what will you be? A navy guy? Or what? Something else?

:lol: Technically, but never tell a Marine that he works for the Navy to his face. ;)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Cabin fever? Light affectiveness disorder? They haven't yet said what this nut case's problem was. But it is all too close to home as this is just 'over the border' in a neighboring state. 'course Wisconsin has had its own gallery of strange murderers. And the general tone of all emails and phone calls is getting uglier as the winter drags on. I wanna step into the ST universe and disappear for awhile. NOT the MU, though, :? .
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 pm

He stopped taking his pills.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:58 pm

From BnB's article:
In Memphis, Tenn., a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class

Certainly, that time I most often felt the urge to kill. And the opinion that jocks all deserved death. I've mellowed slightly over the years. Sort of.
Last edited by evcake on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:22 pm

CX wrote:
enterprikayak wrote:so.... when you're all done being wrung out....what will you be? A navy guy? Or what? Something else?

:lol: Technically, but never tell a Marine that he works for the Navy to his face. ;)

You want to know what our relationship is to the Navy? ;)

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army. On the 7th day, while God rested, we overran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers and talk like sailors and slap the hell out of both of them. Soldier by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, Marine by the Grace of God.

8)

Administratively, the Marine Corps is under the department of the Navy, and the political official who speaks for the Marine Corps in the Pentagon is the Secretary of the Navy. The military official who speaks for the Marine Corps at the Joint Chiefs of Staff on military matters, however, is the Commandant of the Marine Corps (a 4-star general).

I like to put it this way: The Marines are connected to the Navy, and proudly, in that we are used as a power-projection force across the globe. What used to be true of the Marines is that they were "boat patrol" for the Navy - i.e., they were security guards, sentries, and basically jailers. Their quarters on older ships were between the enlisted sailors' bunks and the officers' quarters in order to prevent a mutiny. That is no longer the case in the sense of security detachments. I believe the last security detachment was removed from an active duty sea-going warship in the late 1980's. What is true of the modern day Marine Corps is that the core of U.S. military might and the fastest way to deploy a large expeditionary force - capable of air, ground, and amphibious operations including direct action, support, intelligence, logistics, and air support worldwide - is still over the ocean. The Navy gets us there, but the Marines do the job. They drive us to where the meat meets the metal 8)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 pm

I know what the relationship is - it's the Marine Corps of the Department of Navy, even says so right on the official seal. ;) Which is also why the top general in the Marine Corps is called the Commandant rather than the Chief of Staff. I had to learn these things as a cadet. :P

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:10 pm

They drive us to where the meat meets the metal

yeah, well, you be careful. :?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 pm

CX wrote:I know what the relationship is - it's the Marine Corps of the Department of Navy, even says so right on the official seal. ;) Which is also why the top general in the Marine Corps is called the Commandant rather than the Chief of Staff. I had to learn these things as a cadet. :P

I was really answering for EP's benefit
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Okay...about that quote listing what was stolen from various services...did anything get stolen from the Coast Guard? :lol: There must have been something stolen from the Coast Guard too...

Now I am sure there will be some smartass reply, right? :?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the "drunkard by choice" part doesn't do much to inspire. :?

Note: I actually have great respect for the armed forces. Nitpicking the quote, not the military as a whole.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Well when the american sailors come roistering through my local port, every bar in town writes "Welcome Sailors!" on their sign and the sailors belly on up to the counters in droves. :lol:

So it's not wrong... in my limited experience.

And that's just John's aquabus "drivers".

Wonder what happens when the Marines are in town?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 pm

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:22 am

enterprikayak wrote:Wonder what happens when the Marines are in town?

Well if they're smart they lock up their sisters, wives & daughters ;)
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:58 am

*sigh*

If they are the kind of wives that need to be locked up, the husband is better off showing her to the door and locking it behind her.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:32 am

yahoo! :lol:

Return to “General Chat”