Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Postby starwatcher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:23 pm

I must say that my problem with this idea is incredibly partisan: I like TnT and their dynamic. I don't like either Bella or Edward - sorry!!! I decided to read the Twilight books partially because it was either that or my thesis (and that that point in my doctoral career, reading my thesis AGAIN was simply not an option if sanity was to be maintained) and partially because I wanted to know what the fuss was all about and I must admit that I was remarkably ...... underwhelmed. I mean, I thought that Meyer did a pretty interesting job of not just delving into a world of vampire lore that she admitted she was completely ignorant of until she embarked on the research, but of capturing that first 'flush' of romance that at times borders on obsessional. At the same time, the major problem I have with it, is that, well.... I despise the two main characters and don't find them remotely compelling or feel any real sympathy for them. I find Edward creepy (he sneaks into her room at night and watches her sleep????? That would creep me out!!) and Bella so completely boring that I couldn't finish the final book. I just don't get why both Jacob and Edward like her!!! That said, I did enjoy the movies - the music, the gorgeous settings, and of course Jacob Black!! But I'm not a Twihard, so maybe I've missed the great connection that they share :D

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 pm

I actually thought the connection was more lacking in the movies than in the book... I think probably the shortfall with most people with Bella and Edward's "chemsitry" is that it isn't really chemistry at all, it's sort of your storybook-star-crossed-lovers-under-the-spell type of thing that doesn't necessitate a clear process of the two characters evolving into a couple.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”