Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Yowling Rant

Postby Distracted » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 pm

All very true.

Herpes zoster, the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles (it's also called varicella), does respond to Zovirax, but I've never seen Zovirax used topically for shingles. It's very expensive in cream form and doesn't do anything to reduce the long term consequences of shingles by itself. I could see it maybe being used in combination with an oral antiviral if money was no object and you wanted the sores to heal a little faster, but the benefits are minimal compared to the cost of the stuff. If I had my druthers I'd rather pay for oral Zovirax (acyclovir) and a strong pain pill and wait a couple of weeks for the darn things to heal than waste my money on a cream that may or may not help. JMO.

And you can get chickenpox from touching the rash of someone who has shingles (or from touching something which has touched the rash...), but you can't catch shingles from someone who has shingles.

Herpes simplex is a whole 'nother animal, but it can also be treated with Zovirax. Once again, I never prescribe the cream, only the oral, for two reasons. One, the oral is cheaper and works better. Two, herpes simplex is spread by skin to skin contact and can spread from one part of the body to another. So why would you give a patient a cream to apply with their fingers several times a day? The virus will get on their fingers... and then maybe in their eyes if they rub them (herpes in the eyes can cause blindness) or cause recurrent infectious rashes on the fingers themselves. This is called herpetic whitlow. It's rare but can be a major problem since people with herpes can shed virus without symptoms. So people with whitlow can shed virus from their fingers asymptomatically and can contaminate anything they touch with the herpes virus. Scary, huh? :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:29 am

These seems to me to be one of those illnesses that could stand to be MUCH better understood by the general public, especially when you consider the great damage that someone having a primary episode can do to themselves and others. People freak out about genital herpes and would never want to talk about it, and meanwhile they're extremely casual about cold sores, when both are really the same disease and can wreak real havoc on health and relationships. I remember a doctor telling me she'd somehow managed to get it on her butt and that her husband denied he'd done anything that would make HIM get it and that she still wondered sometimes if that was true. But she also said it was possible she could have gotten it off a toilet seat.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 am

Not very likely, that. It would have to be a warm, wet, sloppy toilet seat. The herpes virus won't live longer than a couple of minutes on a hard, cold surface. If that woman were my patient I'd culture her lesions. If they grow type one and her husband gets fever blisters, then no biggie. He was shedding virus from his mouth and he kissed her butt. Mystery solved. If they grow type 2 then hubby needs a blood test for type 2. If he tests positive she'd have a reason to suspect he might not be telling the truth about being faithful even if he won't admit to (or never noticed) any blisters. If he tests negative he's not the source.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 am

I put the creme on my wifes Shingles. I washed my hands well before and after. Now you say I could get the damned stuff just by rubbing the ointment on her Shigles.

Wife has an oral medication she is taking but don't know the name of it. she has stopped the Ointment as sge says it burns and causes pain.

I will confirm that the creme is very expenisve. fortunately the Insurnace companiy picks up most of the tabb

Speaking of that my perscription for Avandia (a three month supply) cost the Insurance company 700 dollars.

wife feels like Hell and I don't blame her.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 am

If you've had chickenpox already you're probably okay, SB. If you're not sure, disposable non-latex medical gloves are pretty easy to find.

Shingles IS miserable. It feels like your skin is on fire because the virus affects the nerves. Nothing much helps the pain but narcotics, but narcotics often make people feel worse because they feel so off-balance, confused, sleepy, nauseated and itchy on them.

I hope your wife has some good pain pills and I hope she gets well very soon because I know you're miserable having to watch her be miserable. God Bless both of you. :hug:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 am

Distracted wrote:Not very likely, that. It would have to be a warm, wet, sloppy toilet seat. The herpes virus won't live longer than a couple of minutes on a hard, cold surface. If that woman were my patient I'd culture her lesions. If they grow type one and her husband gets fever blisters, then no biggie. He was shedding virus from his mouth and he kissed her butt. Mystery solved. If they grow type 2 then hubby needs a blood test for type 2. If he tests positive she'd have a reason to suspect he might not be telling the truth about being faithful even if he won't admit to (or never noticed) any blisters. If he tests negative he's not the source.

Maybe she said towel, and I didn't remember it right. This was back in NJ. She was a great doc, and I miss her, but I have to admit I sometimes wonder how her marriage has held up...
Image.Image

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Per our docs... shingles is a result of a dormant version of chickenpox (yep, herpes) that erupts when your immune system is suppressed. Once it activates it's contagious to others... but it only will give you chickenpox. Once it has reached the blister stage, antivirals don't help much and are a waste of money. It you catch it early, get the shingles vaccine.

We used Sulfadiazene cream... which is recommended in the PDR... to soothe it. Turned the blisters blue since its silver based. Hubbie was in such pain... it provided the only relief.

good luck
peg

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I AM THIS / / CLOSE TO BAWLING.
The Important meeting w/son's teacher today at 3:30 CANCELED on me, rescheduled for tomorrow. Son having behavior issues, hitting teacher, aide and other students. :-(

I'm tired of having to deal with this over and over and over and being jerked around by the school system in the process. My autistic son is going to have to change schools next year...because the program's being shuffled around. (Special needs kids=lower test scores=brings school average down. Let's spread the hurt all around. :bitch: )

I'm so tired of dealing with this crap. There are times I wish I had a NORMAL family, with NORMAL kids!

SOB!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm

:hug:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:There are times I wish I had a NORMAL family, with NORMAL kids!

Normal is a setting on a dryer.

peg
Last edited by Pegmumm on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Lady Rainbow-- :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Hang in there, LR. And go ahead and be bitchy with the school. They aren't behaving very nicely canceling on you.

Thank No Child Left Behind for that move by them, though. It doesn't recognize that not all kids can meet the Average Yearly Progress required, and that can literally put the whole school in crisis. The feds need to reform the hell out of that program.
Image.Image

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm

:hug:

You do have a "normal" family with "normal" kids. It is normal for you and that is enough. The schools are broken, so don't think you are alone.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Lady Rainbow, you are not alone. There are probably suport groups out there somewhere. People wo have had the same problems.

My Grandaughter is a special needs child and her Mother fears the State may cut fundinng for the program and she doesn't know where to turn. She meets with a support group that has members from other states. She knows that he problem is widesprad. Too many States are in deep debt and the special Needs and other worthy programs are the first to get the axe.

Hang in there.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks, guys.

I just read over my son's IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for next year. It's a document stating what he's achieved during the year and his academic, social and emotional goals for next year. I'm crying. It's so much "Michael can't" do this. He "can't do" that and it "impacts his academic progress because he can't".

I've never read a more negative and more depressing document. About my son.

Hardly any positives, and I feel like a complete failure as a mother.

FML. :cry:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Return to “General Chat”