Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Alcohol

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Ops, sorry, Elessar, I respect your attitude and your efforts to stay physically fit. But I think CX is also in the military, right?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Resistance is futile. I tried. I really did. Confused

I respect that many of you use alcohol responsibly and in moderation. I lived with an alcoholic for more than 7 years. I dealt with the screaming and holes being punched in the walls...so I still have just a few issues surrounding it. I still wince every time I hear even just a soda can opening and I can smell alcohol in the air from 3 rooms away. I guess there is just a lot of anger there. You love someone who wants to quit, but you can not escape from the stuff. It's EVERYWHERE!! So, yes, I hate it. Loathe it. ETC.ETC.ETC. Maybe the anger will subside eventually, but thus far, it has not. I would just say be careful. It can really ruin people's lives. I just hope everyone keeps that in mind. It's a powerful and addictive drug that can turn someone you love into a complete and total ass.

Sigh. Okay, I'm shutting up now.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Gosh, I am really sorry for the effect it had on you, Bether. I guess because I did not have such a long time being beaten down by its effects, I am less effected by the abuse. I tolerated abuse for the better part of a year, then left my Ex and lived in my car for a week with my nine month old baby until I found my own apartment. The last straw, when I decided to leave, was not the effect on myself. It was when my nine month old (who adored her daddy) was once picked up by him when he was drunk. She was shaking and crying and I was not going to let her father's problem ruin her life. So we left. It was rough. But it was the right thing to do, and better for all of us.

I hated him for some time. He eventually hit bottom (my leaving him was not bottom, so much for MY effect on his life). But he eventually pulled himself together and even got a job managing the water system on his home reservation, where he had to relate to college educated water system people at conferences, with only an eigth grade education himself. He turned his life around. I am proud of what he finally did with his life, but we never did get back together. At leaset we still care about each other and keep in touch.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:40 pm

I admire both of you. I just got it second hand by being the child of an alcoholic. Linda, you did the right thing to get your child out of that environment. Bether, you already know how proud I am of you, dear. It's amazing how strong a person can be when they have to be. Hug
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Gosh, Distracted, a child is so much more vulnerable than an adult. I know you are a strong woman now. I hope all is well with both Bether and you, although there must be scars. Blessings to you both and I will now shut up about alcohol.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:55 pm

No need to worry, Linda. It's just one of those things I have to work through still and am trying to. It sounds like you did exactly what was right for your child. You should be proud of yourself for that. As for myself, well, I had a great deal of encouragement and support from friends who helped me find the strength to have that big talk with my husband. And he's been sober for nearly 2 years now! Very Happy

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:58 pm

I am glad your husband was able to turn his life around too. And you must be a strong person to have stuck with him until he did.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Linda wrote:Ops, sorry, Elessar, I respect your attitude and your efforts to stay physically fit. But I think CX is also in the military, right?

No, I'm neither in the miliary, nor in shape. Wink I used to be both though.

Return to “General Chat”