Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:47 pm

I think the IDIC epidemic was the better one of the two. I tried reading The Vulcan Academy Murderers again about six months ago and the style and plot just didn't appeal to me anymore. It seemed like the Elayna's (was that her name? I knew it started with an "E") motive for plotting murder was too ridiculous for me to take her seriously as a bad guy. Psycho-chick, definitely - but I guess I've never been into psycho-chick stories. They're all the same: some bitch running around boiling bunnies for some guy who only regards her in passing. It kinda reminds me of that LOTR mary sue parody - and I really don't think it's that often that woman with such low self-esteem would even bother to go around murdering ppl. It's seems to me her only hobbies would include Oprah and bon bons.
Writing as TrekPyro.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Alelou wrote:I just passed along my entire fanzine/script collection (which wasn't that big) on freecycle last year when I decided it was too much trouble to try to Ebay it and I just didn't need Star Trek crap in my closet anymore.

Arrgh! I would love to have gotten a look at those. But I hear ya--I unloaded a slew of Trek books a while back, except for a few that I like to re-read. Including The Vulcan Academy Murders, interestingly enough... :) I need to hunt down the sequel.

BTW, Alelou, I love your new avatar. Which episode is that from?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Thank you, it's from United. :D I'm so pleased to have finally figured out how to make these. They are quite addictive!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:08 pm

I carried around my favorite ST novels for decades. Now I can't even remember their titles. I remember loving Barbara Hambly and one where Spock caught pneumonia from getting dunked in a river. (The things you remember...)

I used to know Shirley Maiewski slightly -- she worked at the campus bookstore at UMass when I was a student there. She and two other women had a wonderful fanzine series called AU4 that was probably the only Kirk-centered fanfic I ever loved. The first one ended up in the first Star Trek The New Voyages book -- but it had been edited so brutally by those two women who did that volume it was barely recognizable. They had a prose style all their own, which was fine for them, but by God they made sure everybody else had to have the same one. Anyway, those were the best zines I had. Those and Sahaj Collected. Other than that it was just some weird stuff like Delta Triad which focused on Kirk and Arabian Stallions and Kirk/Uhura which just showed how desperate I was to read ANYTHING Star Trek in those days before the internet!
Image.Image

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:17 am

Alelou wrote:Thank you, it's from United. :D I'm so pleased to have finally figured out how to make these. They are quite addictive!

Tell me about it... :wink:

I carried around my favorite ST novels for decades. Now I can't even remember their titles. I remember loving Barbara Hambly

I still have a Barbara Hambly called "Ishmael." A crossover between TOS and "Here Come the Brides." (Wow, lookit, Mark Lenard without pointed ears!) I haven't read it for a long while, but I remember it as a lovely romance first (I think that was the subplot, ha), and Star Trek second.

I used to know Shirley Maiewski slightly -- she worked at the campus bookstore at UMass when I was a student there. She and two other women had a wonderful fanzine series called AU4 that was probably the only Kirk-centered fanfic I ever loved. The first one ended up in the first Star Trek The New Voyages book -- but it had been edited so brutally by those two women who did that volume it was barely recognizable. They had a prose style all their own, which was fine for them, but by God they made sure everybody else had to have the same one. Anyway, those were the best zines I had. Those and Sahaj Collected. Other than that it was just some weird stuff like Delta Triad which focused on Kirk and Arabian Stallions and Kirk/Uhura which just showed how desperate I was to read ANYTHING Star Trek in those days before the internet!

Ha! That's how I felt about those Trek books during the parched years before the movies launched. 8) I have both New Voyages books too. Cool that you met Shirley. :) And now I want to see the original version of "Mind-Sifter" at once!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:52 am

Yep, Ishmael was it. This explains why I loved it -- I didn't have a ship to follow in the original series, but I was obviously longing for one!

I remember Spock's horrified comment in that book that sugar is poison everytime T'Pol looks at a piece of pecan pie.
Image.Image

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 am

Alelou wrote:I carried around my favorite ST novels for decades. Now I can't even remember their titles. I remember loving Barbara Hambly and one where Spock caught pneumonia from getting dunked in a river. (The things you remember...)

I used to know Shirley Maiewski slightly -- she worked at the campus bookstore at UMass when I was a student there.

Speaking of Trek Authors.....A.C Crispen (she wrote Sarek) sometimes teachers courses at our local community college. I keep saying next time she does I'm signing up for it!

She'll be at Shore leave this year as well. (She was suppose to be last year but canceled due to a family emergency)
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Alelou, Uhura's song is the book where Spock got dunked in the river and got pneumonia. I got rid of of a batch of Trek books except for my absolute favorites. too.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks, Reanok. I never would have remembered that. And, sigh, I'll probably forget it now.
Image.Image

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I recently re read Uhura's song otherwise I wouldn'nt remember which book it was after reading so many Trek books I get mixed up when it comes to all the different books storylines after awhile.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 pm

My fave was "Eye of the Beholder" where the aliens were so alien you couldn't even look at them without it, like, melting your brain. And so Data got modified so he could go over.

I liked Imzadi also, but Imzadi: II was horrible!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 pm

Alelou wrote:Thank you, it's from United. :D I'm so pleased to have finally figured out how to make these. They are quite addictive!

No kidding! Since I discovered that Trekcore is down, I'm suffering from avatar/wallpaper withdrawal. It's not pretty. :(

And you avatar is great Alelou :thumbsup:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 pm

That's high praise from you, Lys!

TrekCore is down?????? I think I might hyperventilate now.

I guess I should figure out how to get screencaps off my own DVDs, but this computer already warned me it won't copy copyrighted material, so I'm not too hopeful I'll figure out how to do it.
Image.Image

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 pm

He! Don't worry about Trekcore, it's only for a few days. No need to hyperventilate. And if it lasts longer, I'll think it'll just give me the kick in the pants I need to begin doing my own screencaps. :lol:

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 am

Alelou wrote:That's high praise from you, Lys!

TrekCore is down?????? I think I might hyperventilate now.

I guess I should figure out how to get screencaps off my own DVDs, but this computer already warned me it won't copy copyrighted material, so I'm not too hopeful I'll figure out how to do it.

See? The warning worked on you.

Prolly it'll be easy. ;)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “General Chat”