What have we learned from the T'nT sites?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: What have we learned from the T'nT sites?

Postby evcake » Tue May 15, 2007 6:19 pm

You go. Coasties don't get near enough recognition.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 pm

You are right about that! But after Katrina, we got some recognition. We even got a special ribbon for that, with a hurricane symbol that attaches to the ribbon! But for years under the Department of Transportation, the Coast Guard was like the poor step sister of the military branches. It is better in the Department of Homeland Security.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue May 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Costies kick @$$!
(my brother and cousin are costies ;-D)
Writing as TrekPyro.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 15, 2007 8:31 pm

If you just want to get published so you can say, "I have such and such published," you might consider some of the online magazines. There are several online Sci-Fi magazones now that accept submissions without agents. They ostensibly pay so much per word, although I haven't tried them. Orson Scott Card runs one I believe, and there are others out there.

You could also try non-fiction, just to get yourself published. I have published several non-fiction articles like product reviews, editorials, etc. You might also consider starting your own blog and self-publishing your stories? Some people do that. Or maybe just post the first part of the stories on your blog as teasers?

EDIT:

Follow-Up:

The magazone that Orson Scott Card publishes on the net is called Intergalactic Medicine Show. It can be found at:

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.co ... ticle=home

the link to their submissions page is:

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.co ... ubmissions

Writers:

We are looking for stories of any length in the genres of science fiction and fantasy.

"Science fiction" includes hard sf, sf adventure, alternate history, near-future, far-future, psi, alien, and any other kind of sf you can think of.

"Fantasy" includes heroic fantasy (based on any culture's mythology), fairy tales, contemporary fantasy, and "horror" in the sense of supernatural suspense (not gory bloodfests, thanks).

Within these genres, we like to see well-developed milieus and believable, engaging characters. We also look for clear, unaffected writing. Asimov, Niven, Tolkien, Yolen, and Hobb are more likely to be our literary exemplars than James Joyce.

We pay 6 cents a word up to $500. Stories can be longer, but the word rate drops with increasing length to always yield a total of $500.....

If anyone is interested. It looks like it comes out quarterly.

It was also mentioned in "Asimov's Science Fiction" along with some other places. That article can be found at:

http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0702/Onthenet.shtml
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 15, 2007 9:51 pm

I could never get published as a fiction writer. The market for domestic science fiction is practically nil in Sweden and science fiction is more or less the only thing I'd want to write, fiction-wise.

I might be able to get published writing non-fiction. I have the advantage of working for a newspaper (op-ed section) so I write more or less on a daily basis. It's not uncommon for newspaper folks (journalists and the like) to start writing books. The problem is that it would take quite some time of my busy work schedule.

Still, writing non-fiction (in my case it would be history and political science) wouldn't be as much fun as writing (science) fiction. I have a lot of ideas. Sometimes I wish I lived in America or the UK since you actually have a market for it.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 pm

^ Well that's what you Swedes get for using the metric system Twisted Evil Razz Laughing
ImageImage

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 pm

T'Poptarts wrote:^ Well that's what you Swedes get for using the metric system Twisted Evil Razz Laughing

Pfft! The entire world except Britain and the US uses the far more logical metric system! Raspberry

I have no idea what this has to do with published science fiction though. It's got more to do with the fact that it's a niche market and we're only 9 million people in Sweden. We hardly even translate science fiction stories into Swedish. Fans buy and read the English copies. But they do translate sci-fi novels into German, but there are over 80 million of them so...

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue May 15, 2007 11:56 pm

So, KTR, write it in English. Your English is good enough!

I want to get published someday (don't we all!) but currently my only publication is a history article in my school's online history journal. Actually I want to have more historical stuff published and then some fiction, eventually.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 16, 2007 12:00 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
T'Poptarts wrote:^ Well that's what you Swedes get for using the metric system Twisted Evil Razz Laughing

Pfft! The entire world except Britain and the US uses the far more logical metric system! Raspberry

I have no idea what this has to do with published science fiction though.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Still, writing non-fiction (in my case it would be history and political science) wouldn't be as much fun as writing (science) fiction. I have a lot of ideas. Sometimes I wish I lived in America or the UK since you actually have a market for it.

So you wish you didn't have to use the metric system? Raspberry Raspberry Raspberry

Trek uses the metric system Wink
ImageImage

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed May 16, 2007 12:23 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:So, KTR, write it in English. Your English is good enough!

Why, thank you! Smile

T'Poptarts wrote:So you wish you didn't have to use the metric system? Raspberry Raspberry Raspberry

Um, no! Why on Earth would I wish something stupid like that!? Vulcan WTF

Trek uses the metric system Wink

I know! Thumbs Up One of the "evolved" concepts I do like! Mr. Green

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Um, no! Why on Earth would I wish something stupid like that!? Vulcan WTF

Uh... cuz you wish you lived in the only places that don't use the metric system? Confused
ImageImage

tennisgirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby tennisgirl » Wed May 16, 2007 2:15 am

Hey, don't mess with the metric system! Dividing and multiplying everything by ten works just fine by me. Very Happy
Avatar made possible by the art of ivymae

Quinn - Daria, you can't leave me here with those, those... yuppies!
Daria - Yuppies are from the Eighties.
Quinn - So what do you call people in funny outfits who talk about peace and love and stuff?
Daria - Trekkies...
Episode #205 - That Was Then, This is Dumb - Daria

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed May 16, 2007 2:27 am

T'Poptarts wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Um, no! Why on Earth would I wish something stupid like that!? Vulcan WTF

Uh... cuz you wish you lived in the only places that don't use the metric system? Confused

So? I'd wish to live there despite the non-metric system.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 16, 2007 2:58 am

tennisgirl wrote:Hey, don't mess with the metric system! Dividing and multiplying everything by ten works just fine by me. Very Happy

Yeah well it works fine by me too. What really sucks though is dividing and multiplying stuff by like 2.54 (inches) or 2.20462 (lbs) etc Razz Confused
ImageImage

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Wed May 16, 2007 7:49 am

Jedikatie wrote:Coming up with your own little universe, with its particular rules and the like, is much harder...

Yes, I agree. It's hard and takes a lot of time to do and get started, but after that is done I think it's easier to write than fan fiction. I think it's easier, because when I have done all the work myself with the characters and universe they live in my head in a way that isn't possible without all that work.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:It's got more to do with the fact that it's a niche market and we're only 9 million people in Sweden. We hardly even translate science fiction stories into Swedish. Fans buy and read the English copies. But they do translate sci-fi novels into German, but there are over 80 million of them so...

There are only 5 million of us and we have a market. It's not a big one, but enough that some scifi books get translated every year and we have some Finnish scifi authors as well. Maybe it's because so many people don't like to read in English. There are few Finnish scifi magazines too that publish stories. Actually if I ever manage to gather enough courage I'm going to send some stories to a competition that one of those magazines has every August.

Return to “General Chat”