Reboot VOY

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Reboot VOY

Postby CX » Sat May 26, 2007 2:38 am

I just wouldn't use it for the most part because of the power consumption of it. I mighthave them run simulations in there, but that would be it.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat May 26, 2007 3:01 am

yep - that would be the smart way to do it Wink
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 am

Actually, I've always perceived the holodeck as a remarkably effective tool if used for things other than random time wasting and/or leisure. Yeah, there's a place for that too, but you never see the crew using the holodeck to conduct training drills or that sort of thing. Imagine how useful it would be for testing a particular department's ability to conduct a certain drill (whether it's Repel Boarders, or Reactor Breach, or anything like that.) Imagine how useful it would be for security guys training for a combat operation.

It's just when the holodeck becomes a storytelling crutch that I seriously dislike them. As a training tool, they would be invaluable.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 pm

I hate the holodeck. It was a huge mistake to introduce the concept in the first place.

That said, my favourite character on VOY was actually the EMH, at least before that show turned out to be The-EMH-and-7of9-show.

As with the replicators, Star Trek never actually explored what those inventions would mean to society. They were just used like we use entertainment centers and kitchens today, albeit in a more advanced fashion. Honestly, holodecks and replicators would mean death to society as we know it. I mean, why bother with real life when you can fulfil your fantasies 24-7?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:As with the replicators, Star Trek never actually explored what those inventions would mean to society. They were just used like we use entertainment centers and kitchens today, albeit in a more advanced fashion. Honestly, holodecks and replicators would mean death to society as we know it. I mean, why bother with real life when you can fulfil your fantasies 24-7?

That's a pretty good point ... look at the people (like me, I guess) who are already addicted to the internet. I shudder to think how useless I would be to society if I could just punch up a simulation of Empire Strikes Back with me in the role of Luke, or visit Middle-Earth while playing Aragorn.

But again, I think that in very limited application, such a thing would be a remarkable training tool...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat May 26, 2007 6:39 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:As with the replicators, Star Trek never actually explored what those inventions would mean to society. They were just used like we use entertainment centers and kitchens today, albeit in a more advanced fashion. Honestly, holodecks and replicators would mean death to society as we know it. I mean, why bother with real life when you can fulfil your fantasies 24-7?

Fascinating point. As long as there are a few people to keep these wonders working, little else would need to be done. Hmmm, that would make an interesting AU.

I personally think that holodecks would be even more useful on Voyager than, say, the Enterprise-D because people do need to unwind and relax. The problem is that the power consumption could be a serious issue, and just as the power situation gets more serious (until the next cache of dilithium or miracle element) would be when morale was low and thus the holodecks would be even more useful. But I go with the theory that to Janeway, the pros outweighed the cons as far as the holodeck goes.

I didn't even mind some holodeck episodes. "Heroes and Demons" wasn't bad, and "Bride of Chaotica!" was fun. Also, it was an interesting idea that some species could interpret illusion as reality. No, my problem was mostly "Spirit Folk." That was just lousy. For that matter, wasn't it a rehashing of something TNG did?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat May 26, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't see anymore problem with the holodeck then I do with TV or movies or video games. Some people do get addicted, but most don't because it's simply a form of enterainment.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 pm

I like Hero and Demons and The Big Goodbye and the TNG show where we see Barkley's holodeck addiction he was a misfit but I always liked him and rooted for him. I've been watching Voyager on Spike and all I've seen is the Barkley episodes he was still having problems being addicted to the holodeck he finally got over his problems with help from Deanna and his commanding officer and he got a girlfriend.It was nice to see in Endgame he was there when Voyager returned. I think security and engineering using it for traing for emergencies is good ideas same with medical personel trainfor different emegency situations or combat too.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed May 30, 2007 4:11 pm

As usual, I haven't read the whole thread, but what I'd do differently with Voyager. I would make it less like "Gilligan's Island": Each week they almost get home but then something goes wrong and they end up stranded again. No. They are more stuck every week, making due in the Delta Quadrant. Like an E-squared story.

Janeway would have been less wishy-washy. She was trying to reach out to species 8762 or whatever they were called, tryign to help them, instead of trying to protect the ship.

The Maqui wouldn't have integrated so easily or completely. There would be more informality without Starfleet there to enforce things. They would have developed more of their own little subculture, with no outside reference points. They would not have believed that they COULD get home. They would have thought it would be an outside chance and started to make lives for themselves in the meantime.

If Q showed up, Janeway would BEG him to take them home.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed May 30, 2007 5:08 pm

justTrip'n wrote:As usual, I haven't read the whole thread, but what I'd do differently with Voyager. I would make it less like "Gilligan's Island": Each week they almost get home but then something goes wrong and they end up stranded again. No. They are more stuck every week, making due in the Delta Quadrant. Like an E-squared story.

Janeway would have been less wishy-washy. She was trying to reach out to species 8762 or whatever they were called, tryign to help them, instead of trying to protect the ship.

The Maqui wouldn't have integrated so easily or completely. There would be more informality without Starfleet there to enforce things. They would have developed more of their own little subculture, with no outside reference points. They would not have believed that they COULD get home. They would have thought it would be an outside chance and started to make lives for themselves in the meantime.

If Q showed up, Janeway would BEG him to take them home.

Realism? In Trek? Pshaw!
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed May 30, 2007 5:15 pm

What is so hot about realism anyway? Laughing Reality bites. "Get us out of here!"
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 30, 2007 5:18 pm

I think it's less a desire for "realism" than a desire for "realistic reactions." I'm fine with fantastic situations, it's just when the characters react in a completely unrealistic manner that I personally lose interest.

But, that's just IMHO.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed May 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Pshaw I say. Don't you know that humanity has evolved beyond such petty concenrs in the next two centuries? A mere two million years of evolution is nothing, compared to the enlightenment brought about by two intense centuries of politically correct indoctrination.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed May 30, 2007 9:20 pm

I'm sure that with a little work your backhand will improve. Laughing Full points for irony, however.

Umm...is there a way to move a quote from one thread to another?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm

I DID like Voyager though. And, like everyone, I LOVED the crossover with Barkley--how the Holodeck-addicted loner actually ends up saving the day.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”