Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Anyone for Defying Gravity?

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Anyone planning on seeing this? I don't know if I could stand it, but it *is* a space movie, so........ I dunno.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

I guess they had to film a lot of it in those crazy parabolic jets that allow for zero G?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone for Defying Gravity?

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 pm

From the article it sounds an awfully lot like Melrose Space, but I hope they have more of the space stuff, à la From the Earth to the Moon. Cute women at any rate...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:54 pm

I'll take a peek. I think I'm going to bail on True Blood; it's just too disgusting lately, even for me.

Gosh, it's thundering and pouring again. What a shocker (NOT).
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:48 pm

enterprikayak wrote:Anyone planning on seeing this? I don't know if I could stand it, but it *is* a space movie, so........ I dunno.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

I guess they had to film a lot of it in those crazy parabolic jets that allow for zero G?

Looks great! But then, I'm all for soap opera in space. Will it play in the US? :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:19 am

It's all, 'don't worry, it's like big brother, you'll like it'. but i don't like big brother.

[veruca salt voice] but it's a spaaaa-aaace moooo-vie. and i wanna maybe see-eeee it. :-x [/veruca salt voice]

(Who am I kidding?....I never turn that voice off. :twisted:)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:46 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Melrose Space,...

:guffaw: :lol: :thumbsup: :guffaw: :lol: :thumbsup: :guffaw: :lol: :thumbsup:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:06 pm

!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I want: space soap opera. I'll be there. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:50 am

Well, I watched it (and I live in Costa Rica, man). I'll blame it on having watched Band of Brothers lately, and when I saw Ron Livingston on TV, I just couldn't change the freaking channel for the duration of the pilot. But truth be told, I'm not exactly hooked. I could have done without a bunch of elements that I can tell are going to play a big role (like the convenient educational program that explains to you certain things like the fact that there is gravity or this certain character I wish would get sucked out an airlock), and the plot relationshipwise seems a bit predictable.

Not losing sleep over this one...
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:34 am

Yep, I feel pretty much the same in that I'm game if there's nothing else to do and I can stay awake. But it's definitely looking soapy as hell. I'm already sick of baby crying sounds; sincerely hope that's over. And the interpersonal politics between the head guy and the lead are just ridiculous.

I do like the space ship, though. Their solution to the gravity thing was kinda neat. Not sure how likely it is, but neat. (Sort of begs the question of how they go pee, bit since they've already made peeing on Earth part of the show, I guess we can hope they'll address the SPACE version.)
Image.Image

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 am

I wanted to catch the pilot of this, but I had the same reservations. Melrose Space kind of characterizes what I was thinking as well :lol:. I called it "90210 right ascension" :D

I actually missed the pilot, though. I planned on downloading it. From the looks of it, I'm expecting a little bit of Desperate Housewives, Mission to Mars, Grey's Anatomy, and From the Earth to the Moon...although... I'm hoping for more "Earth to the Moon" parts.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 pm

I watched the pilot. It doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm just too jaded. The only part of this that interests me is the question of contrived the medical evidence to pull two of the astronauts off the mission and why? Seems pretty sinister.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 am

I'm beginning to think they're trying to do too much with this show. If they are trying to please every audience, as the article above suggests, they have to cover way more bases than they can. So, right now you have something that resembles Grey's Anatomy in space, futuristic "scientific" elements, a somewhat changed future society (they kept talking about laws and stuff like that), and whatever "it" is that chose who got to stay and who didn't.

These guys better be ready to do some fantastic writing...
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:58 am

We had guests Sunday night, so I just watched this tonight online. Not counting JB on whatever that weird grocery store comedy was, this is the first time I've watched a TV show in full online. Pretty cool. (Nice big picture and fewer commercials, thank you Target.)

I don't see how they can possibly hope to continue this beyond one season at the rate they're building up this weird alien-ass shit. But whatever. It's a science fiction show that doesn't totally suck. For now I think I'll keep watching, if only because the X-Files type paranoia is catching up to the Melrose Place in Space vibes (or is it Lost? Isn't that the show with the endless flashbacks or flash forwards or whatever?).

Here's my prediction, though: Somehow geeky, shut-out AJ is going to end up saving their asses and possibly all humanity. But God knows I've been wrong before. :)
Image.Image

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 am

Anyone else still watching this?

I know it's soap in space and none of these characters should have gotten past their psych tests, and the pacing could really use a kick in the butt, but I'm kind of getting into it anyway. What can I say? It's a show about the intrepid crew of a spaceship. A very cool space ship that seems to be coping with the actual size of the solar system and the actual kind of missions that are conceivable in our not-so-distant future, which may be why the show's makers feel they have to infuse all the romantic/alien conspiracy/ghost story/tortured pasts/evil boss elements to fill up the story line because, well, it just plain takes a really, really long time to get anywhere.

Despite all the issues, I hate to see it fail. It's undoubtedly slotted for cancellation. They aren't even bothering to make promos for the next episode anymore. :(
Image.Image

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

I watched part of an episode last night on Tivo and ended up going to bed before it was over. I guess there's such a thing as too much soap opera in SciFi. It's kinda dull, isn't it? There's gotta be a happy medium between this and "the alien of the week".
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”