Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

I've defeated Windows 7...

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:44 am

Your fearless leader has a functioning computer, once again:

:mrgreen:

You wouldn't believe the crap I went through to get Win7 to work... Not to mention dragging out an RMA procedure with Western Digital over a hard drive that was within a week of the expiration of its 5-year warranty :lol:. They really didn't want to give up that warranty. :mrgreen: . But they did, in fact, they don't make the first generation WD Raptor 74GB I had so they had to send me a final release WD Velociraptor. Kinda sucks though because it's a SATA II drive but the first is SATA I so the array has to run at SATA I :neutral:

OH by the way, that experience index that like "rates your computer". It tests like 5 different areas, 1.0-7.9, and my computer is actually much better than that 5.9. That's your lowest rating. My HDD data performance speed rated 5.9 while everything else rated 7.3 or 7.5 ... which is strange given I'm using two 10,000 RPM Raptors in RAID 0 which are usually speed demons.

Could have something to do with the SATA I/II issue. And they'd do better if I had them on a RAID card but, c'mon, SATA II RAID cards are invariably PCI-E, and invariably $300+ :(
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: I've defeated Windows 7...

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm

:vulcan:

'Kay. Glad you're happy, Elessar. 8)

Ummm... anybody know what language he's speaking? :wtf:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Distracted wrote::vulcan:

I'm going to ask Hoshi. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Is that Europa behind those soldiers?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Distracted wrote::vulcan:

I was wondering much the same thing myself... :wtf: :vulcan:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:23 pm

justTripn wrote:Is that Europa behind those soldiers?

:lol:, nice JT. Only you would see Marines and go "EUROPA!" because of the streaks! :D
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 am

Ok, I know he's trying to tell us something... And it involves computers... :neutral:

My question is this: is Windows 7 out, officially? I have to buy a laptop, and I'm definitely buying it on Labor Day weekend, and this operational system thing has been giving me grief. My bf has been telling me to toss Windows all together, but I need Windows or Mac to run my design programs. I cannot afford a Mac. So, what's the deal? Will i be stuck with Vista? Will I have to live the Win 7 experience first hand? Will I win the lottery and get a Mac Book Pro and a new iPod?
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 am

I have Vista and it's given me no grief at all. The worst I've had to do is to "save as" to get doc files instead of docx files to send to people that get gibberish when they try to read docx. Of course, I don't really do much with my laptop except write and surf the net.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Pitseleh wrote:Ok, I know he's trying to tell us something... And it involves computers... :neutral:

My question is this: is Windows 7 out, officially? I have to buy a laptop, and I'm definitely buying it on Labor Day weekend, and this operational system thing has been giving me grief. My bf has been telling me to toss Windows all together, but I need Windows or Mac to run my design programs. I cannot afford a Mac. So, what's the deal? Will i be stuck with Vista? Will I have to live the Win 7 experience first hand? Will I win the lottery and get a Mac Book Pro and a new iPod?

Well, Windows XP is still great. Windows 7 is not officially released yet but they have made available certain "Release Candidates" with watermarks in the bottom left that say they're release candidates with build number and activation timer and all that. There are a few things you can do.

Unfortunately, I never actually ran Vista so I can't really report on it. I've been told that a large portion of its "grief" with the average user is simply the sort of common problem you can't avoid in changing operating systems and that's learning where everything has moved to. Even I'm having a little trouble because Windows 7 is built on Vista so it's very similar. From what I can tell and what I've been told, W7 is Vista Ultimate but slimmed down so that it's not so resource intensive but with minor core tweaks as well. I also had to turn off the feature that causes it to ask you every 5 seconds if you're sure you want to do something. Pretty sure that every innovation since Vista has been under the assumption that the average computer user is a total moron and will click anything that pops onto the screen from the internet, so it warns you about EVERYTHING. My only qualm with the whole Vista/7 platform is there is no more command line. No "Start->Run".

Anyway, the 2nd hand feedback I've heard is that Vista Ultimate is pretty nice. And it does allow you to turn some of the more annoying features off, plus if you do a little internet digging, I've heard there are basically streamlining and optimization guides online that will help you to shut off certain Vista features you don't use or don't want to make it slimmer and faster. The main complaint with Vista is that it's so big and bulky and dominant that it just requires a supercomputer to work with a damn.

Another advantage to Vista Ultimate is that later this year you will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 if you want. Unless you get a special deal for it from the retailer, it won't be a free upgrade, but at least it's possible.

Let me issue this caveat: I don't know much about the other Vista/7 builds like Vista/7 Home, Vista/7 Business, Vista/7 Media Center, etc.

Distracted wrote:I have Vista and it's given me no grief at all. The worst I've had to do is to "save as" to get doc files instead of docx files to send to people that get gibberish when they try to read docx. Of course, I don't really do much with my laptop except write and surf the net.

Right, Vista comes with Office 2007 (and it may actually be shipping with Office 2008 now...) which saves in .docx. Really the issue is Office 2007/08 but, when you buy a PC pre-built, it's likely that Office 2007/2008 will be bundled with Vista/Windows 7.

My install is OEM so I will still be installing Office 2003 since we asked posters to no longer submit .docx, I shouldn't need to view it anymore... but... one of these days that will probably change again :lol:

PS: if you waited until you could get a laptop WITH Windows 7, you wouldn't have any problems I have had. I have had to deal with a number of more complicated things. Number one I have the release-to-manufacture (version they'll be burning to disc when it's released. It's available for purchase on a site where you subscribe called technet which I believe is actually legal...) plus I was actually installing it myself and third, I was installing on something called a RAID system which requires some special hardware drivers...which don't tend to exist for brand new operating systems, haha, so you have to get creative and use the Vista drivers with some tweaks to make it work.

User-wise, it's incredibly user friendly and I gotta tell you, the interface is just beautiful and smooth. It's really nice.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:09 pm

My Vista has been a lot more stable than my XP ever was. I have no serious complaints, especially after downloading a fix for something that had to do with the hardware/chips.

Gotta go, lightning.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, at first I heard very bad feedback about Vista, but if I'm going to buy a laptop, it will have either Vista or Win7. My home PC and the old laptop run XP, and that has been pretty stable for me. Another thing is, I'm going to have to buy Office for the first time... Living in Latinamerica, you just bought your PC with whatever Windows OS is available and it will have Office, no questions asked. New experience for me having to buy it.
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Vista turned me into a lunatic, so I tried Sabayon that turned me semi-homicidal, so I got Win7 and PEACE it's really great.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 pm

I must say that you are quite brave to be using Windows 7, and I wish you the best of luck when the next bug comes up. It'll be at least 12 months from the non-beta release date before I try it. And I still have XP so that won't be a fun change. Formatting is a pain.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 pm

I haven't had one bug since getting it. Not one. I'm happy.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 am

Ah, geek-speak. Ain't it grand?!?!

No Vista woes here, either, but congrats on getting Win 7 to work for you, boyo!
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

Return to “General Chat”