Do you believe in love at first sight

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Do you believe in love at first sight

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 pm

OK, people. Do you believe in love at first sight? Yes or no, and why?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Re: Do you believe in love at first sight

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:45 pm

This is a dangerous thread, IMO, because:
First. This could be a matter of faith. Really, as religion.
Second. Because people who experienced it, could get very angry that there could be persons incredulous of it.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes, I do believe in love at first sight. I got together with my first boyfriend, my senior year in high school, because I couldn't stop staring at him from across the room. I didn't know him, but . . . I was nuts about him, just attracted based on looks. One of his friends alerted him that I was staring at him and he came over and started chatting. Well, to make a long story short we started dating and the relationship lasted a year. The more I knew him, the more I was nuts about him. If we had married and lived happily ever after, we would look back on that moment as "love at first sight." So sure! I believe in love at first sight, because I've heard reports from people in long loving relationships who say it happened.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Ahhhh...
Dreamy face! :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Warpgirl
1. Just because you feel that happy giddy feelings (which I believe in BTW) doesn't mean the other person will making it impossible to build a lifetime relationship.

I didn't just feel happy or giddy I felt a solid connection to him. I'd been in love before so was well aware of what it felt like and this was so much more than anything that I'd ever felt before.

2. How can you instantly know you feel the type of love for an individual that makes a lifetime commitment within seconds of meeting them? You can't know their own hopes, dreams, and is willing to share their life with you.
Yes you can. You meet him , youlook in his eyes and dance and you walk around Toledo, OH all night talking and you know that feeling your feeling is the real deal for both of you. And when you return home together your life changes and takes you places you never imagined.

I know we don't know you in person but what you say here is what defines you. You are always saying you don't believe in things in such a way as to say it's not real. You can't discount what others have experienced just because you never have. To us it is very real.

You said "No I don't believe in that at all. Why? Life is too hard, and people change. To have the kind of love to accept and makes you willing to work hard enough to make it work for the rest of your life, instantly... No way. I believe that the giddy joy people sometimes feel can develop into that love. But not that love instantly."

You're describing a long-term ongoing relationship. Mine was all those things it just began one night when I meet a man and instantly fell in love as did he. We went home and continued our life together from that point until he was no longer here.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm

My husband says he fell in love with me at first sight. I was 18, he was 17. Were bandmates. That was 25 years ago.

I have no reason not to believe him - he just told me this a few months ago. I did not fall in love with him at first sight. I thought he was cute, but he pursued me for months before I would go out with him.
Last edited by Aikiweezie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

A strong, instant physical attraction is a great foundation on which to build a deeper love.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:My husband says he fell in love with me at first sight. I was 18, he was 17. Were bandmates. That was 25 years ago.

I have no reason not to believe him - he just told me this a few months ago. I did not fall in love with him at first sight. I thought he was cute, but he pursued me for months before I would go out with him.

DELICIOUS! :D

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm

I left to say one thing: two days ago my wife and I celebrated our marriage anniversary: thirty-two years.
But we had fell in love with each other much before.
And my wife told me, many times, that I looked very "attractive" to her, since we met for the first time.
And, I swear, I found her very charming, since the first time we met.
Now, we were used to fight against each other, ignoring our feelings, but, at the end, these feelings came free to the light.
So... does that be called "love at first sight" or it doesn't?

Sorry. Double post.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:05 am

Depends entirely on how you define "love".

Immediate attraction at first sight? :loveeyes: Sure.
An overpowering connection at first sight? :hug: You bet.
Lust at first sight? :drool: Absolutely!
Lifelong binding emotional commitment at first sight? Not damn likely. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 am

I remember standing in the church pew next to my boyfriend and this guy a few rows in front turned around and smiled during the peace and I thought, "Oh, what a gorgeous guy!"

And anyway, 20 years later here we are. (And JT would agree, he's still damned fine looking.)

I wouldn't say I was in love yet, though. But I do distinctly recall three dates in thinking I wanted to marry him. I guess that counts.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 am

All of those giddy, romantic type of "in love" feelings are actually based on the release of chemicals. Dopamine creates that lovely warm surge that makes you feel euphoric. It's a biological response intended to get two people together so they can then release two other type of chemicals called vasopressin and oxytocin. These chemicals encourage two people to stay together so they may provide a loving and healthy environment for safely raising children. So a lot of it is nature's way of keeping the species going. From what I've read anyway. I think it is still very mystical, though, because what is it exactly about another that sets off this reaction in us while others don't?

Anyhow, the attraction part I believe can be at first sight, and that alone can be something to build on, but to actually love someone at first glance? I don't believe in that. Enduring, deep-attachment type of love takes time to grow, I think. It's about familiarity and recognizing someone, all their little quirks and whatnot...well at least for me...

Okay. I'm going to edit my response. Do I believe one can fall "in love" at first sight? Yes. Do I believe that someone can feel a deep, enduring kind of love at first glance? No. The first may eventually lead to the second, though.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks Bether and Dis because that's what I was trying to say.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 am

Bether6074 wrote:All of those giddy, romantic type of "in love" feelings are actually based on the release of chemicals. Dopamine creates that lovely warm surge that makes you feel euphoric. It's a biological response intended to get two people together so they can then release two other type of chemicals called vasopressin and oxytocin. These chemicals encourage two people to stay together so they may provide a loving and healthy environment for safely raising children. So a lot of it is nature's way of keeping the species going.

That sounds like T'Pol's answer to the question! :D Keeping that in mind, wouldn't a Vulcan brain also release "happy" chemicals? What causes the "bond" to form beween spouses and parents and their children? :vulcan: The Vulcan equivalent of Oxytocin and dopamine or something else?

Return to “General Chat”