Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Postby Elessar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:17 pm

So, JT recommends that I come out of the closet with my Twilight addiction :mrgreen: , and loving it though I do, I see several similarities between the 'ships. The genders are reversed, with Trip->Bella, T'Pol->Edward. These are the similarities I've noticed:

1. The "danger" element - T'Pol cannot show her emotions for Trip for two reasons, one because it's frowned upon culturally by other Vulcans, and two because it's like walking the edge of a blade. She has to succumb only slightly because giving in all the way might mean losing control and hurting him. The same is true of Edward, but it would seem to an even stronger degree. He struggles just to be around her, to smell her, and especially to touch her.

2. The Bond - Trip and T'Pol have one we all know about. For those who may not know, there is also a telepathic connection between Edward and Bella, a little more subtle and somewhat turned upside down. First of all, Edward can always sense if Bella is in trouble. Second of all, he can read everyone's mind except Bella's. That part is explained in the 4th book but regardless, it's still part of their unique connection.

3. Never Been A Pair Before - this is kind of general, but the fact that to the characters' knowledge there's never been a pair like them before makes the entire thing very similar... some people close to them think it's wonderous, others think it's dangerous, morally wrong, and disgusting.

4. The close-friend/competition - Jacob/Archer.

Spoilers for Book 4, Breaking Dawn:

SPOILER!!!:
5. The Hybrid Child - While not a part of canon, many if not MOST fanfics about Trip and T'Pol involve them having a child together, a child that there has never been before, whose pregnancy sometimes threatens T'Pol's life, requires assistance to be carried to term, and usually with very unique characteristics. For anyone who has read Breaking Dawn, that's certainly an accurate description of Renesme.

I'm running thin on more... but what do you guys think, Twilight/Trek fans out there :mrgreen:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Postby justTripn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Having read 1/3 of book one I'll say . . . hmmm . . . . okay. You need enterprikayak. I think she read these.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Indirect spoilers for book 4 follow....

SPOILER!!!:
I can see the similarities that you point out, but Bella is much more of a naiive character than Trip, and Bella's physical state in the 4th book (and the tremendous danger it poses) is not something T'Pol would permit Trip to suffer if she were the responsible party, IMO. When Trip was in a similar condition it wasn't T'Pol's fault and they weren't yet involved. I can't see her deliberately threatening his life that way when there was a way to prevent it. The Edward/Bella situation was an unnecessary danger to add to everything else, and I thought it contrived, introduced just to add more danger. If he loved her so darn much, even if fertility was unlikely between them, don't you think he would have used protection?
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Distracted wrote:Indirect spoilers for book 4 follow....

SPOILER!!!:
I can see the similarities that you point out, but Bella is much more of a naiive character than Trip, and Bella's physical state in the 4th book (and the tremendous danger it poses) is not something T'Pol would permit Trip to suffer if she were the responsible party, IMO. When Trip was in a similar condition it wasn't T'Pol's fault and they weren't yet involved. I can't see her deliberately threatening his life that way when there was a way to prevent it. The Edward/Bella situation was an unnecessary danger to add to everything else, and I thought it contrived, introduced just to add more danger. If he loved her so darn much, even if fertility was unlikely between them, don't you think he would have used protection?

WHAT! I'm shocked and appalled by this behavior! And I think I'll skip ahead to to book 4, he, he . . . :badgrin:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.