Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Earthquake!?!?

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

I woke up at 4:00 this morning when I heard my dogs bark, right after that I felt this BIG thimp or shockwave move through my house from the west. It woke my husband up, too. Turns out we had a 4.3 magnitude earthquake centered about 26 miles nw of where I am. That combined with the foot of snow we got last night should make for an interesting news day here. :shock:
Last edited by Aikiweezie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asso
Site Donor

Re: Earthquae!?!?

Postby Asso » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 pm

:o
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Wow! Be careful. I'm not sure what snow plus earthquake could do to infrastructures!

All we have is our second blizzard in a week here.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I was wrong on how far away the epicenter was, it's more like 50 miles away. It's crazy because I actually SAW my house move. I can't imagine how intense it felt in Sycamore where it hit.

No major damage, no injuries. Just a lot of tired and annoyed people.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Earthquake!?!?

Postby Linda » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Jim and I didn't feel anything, but the parrot was nervous. A few years ago when we had another earthquake the parrot was squwaking and the rabbit was thumping one of her back legs.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

We had a much smaller quake 6 years ago and my dogs barking preceeded the shaking then, too. Animals just seem to know one's coming!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 pm

We had a small one in Michigan about 10 years ago or so. I think the epicenter was in Ohio somewhere. I was sitting in the livingroom watching TV, and I felt the vibration, saw the pictures bounce on the wall, and heard this noise that sounded like a cross between thunder and furniture being dragged across the floor. I just blew it off as a Really Big Truck going by! A little while later the maintenance man came by to fix our air conditioning and he asked me if I'd felt the earthquake. It took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about, because I had already dismissed and forgotten the earlier incident.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Wow! I didn't know quakes were common in the midwest. YIKES.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

They are not very big quakes. I don't think they have caused damage to buildings or roads. At least they haven't in the Milwaukee area. :?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:15 am

We had a mild earthquake in Western Massachusetts on a Saturday morning when I was away at college. I thought it was just the cat jumping up on the bed. Then I remembered that at college I didn't have a cat... 8)

I was in a more serious earthquake outside Seattle in 1964. That went on for a long time ... long enough for my brother and me to see all the pictures fall off the wall in our room. We ran into the dining room and saw the lights swinging, the deck swaying, and my mother under the dining room table with my baby brother. She was screaming hysterically at us to get away from the deck and join her under the table.

What she thought that flimsy dining room table was going to do for us if the house fell in, I really don't know, but then even at 4 I already was getting the idea that my mother was not the coolest head in an emergency.
Last edited by Alelou on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:43 pm

I was in a couple of earthquakes that I did feel, over the summer of 1969 in Mexico City. They shook the ground a little, so I could feel them, but no one was hurt and nothing was distroyed. I don't think I would like to live in an area where they occurred often, and had the potential to do great damage, like on the west coast.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Yikes! I think I'd be a lot more freaked out by shaking earth when I was living in the mouth of a volcano!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 pm

We experienced a couple of earthquakes when we were living in Japan. With the biggest, I woke up and saw the lamp above my head beginning to shake. Then my bed. It took a couple of minutes. Friends of mine lived a in high building on the 12the floor. Their whole house was shaking, a couple things dropped, including their fish tank. For them it was a scary experience.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

vero3110
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby vero3110 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 am

I just got power back at my house. We had an 8,8 Richter earthquake on Friday at 3.34 in the morning, fortunately my family and I are all right but part of the country is isolated or on the floor. It was worse south from Santiago, there was a tsunamy and part of the coast is gone. The news are awful.

This is my second earthquake (that I remember so far). In 1985 it was hard but this time it was worse, a lot worse. I had to grab the walls to avoid falling down while everything went to the floor: glasses, books, pictures, paintings, the TV. The house moved like a shaker and the noise was incredible: crash after crash. My freezer moved about a meter from where it normally stands, unbelievable.

Everything considered and about 40 hours after it, I just have to thank - God or the Universe - that we are alright. Tomorrow I'm going to the office, we'll see how's everything over there.

Vero

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 am

Wow! Vero, I'm so glad that you're all right. I hope your family and friends are all well, too. Take care of yourself. Our thoughts are with everyone in Chile.

Return to “General Chat”