At 36 years of age into the mosh pit...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

At 36 years of age into the mosh pit...

Postby Kotik » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Don't :?

Damn, I'm geeting old... We was at the "Pagan Fest" in Bochum last friday - an 8 hour heavy metal concert. After several dives into the mosh pit and one 'wall of death' (look @youtube to see the sheer lunacy :lol: ) I was pretty much done and 6+ hours of headbanging gave me one helluva neck-muscle ache. Guess 36 is too old for that. But damn, did we have fun :mrgreen:

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Re: At 36 years of age into the mosh pit...

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Don't feel so bad. My friends went to a Metallica concert in their early twenties and the only thing they could say after their experience with the mosh pits and youngins was "We're too old for this s**t!" LOL If you were able to get through part of it @ 36 you did better than a couple of twenty-somethings!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 pm

crystalswolf wrote:Don't feel so bad. My friends went to a Metallica concert in their early twenties and the only thing they could say after their experience with the mosh pits and youngins was "We're too old for this s**t!" LOL If you were able to get through part of it @ 36 you did better than a couple of twenty-somethings!

Well the youngin's didn't even make it to the concert :lol: met a couple of 17 year olds who thought that drinking mead was a good idea - it wasn't ;) most of them were wasted out of their skulls not even halfway into the concert :lol: But I need to remember not to wear riding boots next time. They were good for defense in the mosh pit, but my feet are done for at least 2 weeks :?

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am

Kotik wrote:...They were good for defense in the mosh pit...

:guffaw: I just have the image of several people with a bootprint on their rear!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:08 am

crystalswolf wrote:
Kotik wrote:...They were good for defense in the mosh pit...

:guffaw: I just have the image of several people with a bootprint on their rear!

More like in the face. :explode: There were about 5 or so spin kickers in the pit. Needless to say we 'booted' them into a bloody pulp. One of them smashed his foot into my face. Let's say my response was less than gentle and he left the premises on a stretcher. Some people just don't get it. A mosh pit can be fun if all people play by the rules. Some didn't - we taught them ;-)

The concert was absolutely brilliant though. If someone has the chance to see Arkona, Alestorm, Eluvietie or Finntroll - do it, they are brilliant :mrgreen:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 am

For the old feller. What is a Nosh Pit? I mean if someone left on a Strecher it doesn't sound very nice. Can you wear body arnor in it?

I mean in my youth there were "Honkey Tonk Bars." wher females used to start fights by waving their Ass at every male in the place. It did get interesting. If one went in to one of those Bars it could be expecrted a few missing teeth, broken Nose and other cuts and bruises. If one was not willing to risk that it was a good idea to stay out. Problem was some of the best Country singers appeared at those joints.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 am

Mosh pits are usually the front center of a Rock-Metal concert where everyone head-bangs and bumps into each other to the music. It can be very chaotic and I've noticed in the youtubes they've become a bit more organized (if you can call it that) than what I remember. It used to just come about with a few bumping into others and then more join in. In the youtubes it seems like they organize it with two sides that collide into each other as though some theatrical war. :dunno:

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 am

Cripe. I AM old. I remember when you didn't need a mosh pit to slam dance. :oops:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:13 am

crystalswolf wrote:Mosh pits are usually the front center of a Rock-Metal concert where everyone head-bangs and bumps into each other to the music. It can be very chaotic and I've noticed in the youtubes they've become a bit more organized (if you can call it that) than what I remember. It used to just come about with a few bumping into others and then more join in. In the youtubes it seems like they organize it with two sides that collide into each other as though some theatrical war. :dunno:

The colliding into each other from two sides is called the 'wall of death'. It's pretty dangerous and brutal, but survivable if people play by the rules. Basically a mosh pit/wall of death has some important rules, like you immediately help a fallen mosher to his feet to avoid him being trampled to death and adherence to these rules is violently enforced. If you ignore a fallen mosher, they'll beat you up on the spot. Also those wanna-be Bruce Lee's, who spinkick around in a mosh-pit are usually beaten unconcious/helpless in a matter of seconds. It's no kid's game and you seldomly get away without some bruises, but serious injuries are usually only inflicted by people, who ignore the rules. I've seen a few bloodied people on friday, but it was comparatively civilized - unfortunately only after we rendered the 5 spinkickers, who deliberately injured other people - fit for extended stay in hospital. After they were gone, things went fine.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 am

Kotik wrote:The colliding into each other from two sides is called the 'wall of death'. It's pretty dangerous and brutal, but survivable if people play by the rules. Basically a mosh pit/wall of death has some important rules, like you immediately help a fallen mosher to his feet to avoid him being trampled to death and adherence to these rules is violently enforced. If you ignore a fallen mosher, they'll beat you up on the spot. Also those wanna-be Bruce Lee's, who spinkick around in a mosh-pit are usually beaten unconcious/helpless in a matter of seconds. It's no kid's game and you seldomly get away without some bruises, but serious injuries are usually only inflicted by people, who ignore the rules. I've seen a few bloodied people on friday, but it was comparatively civilized - unfortunately only after we rendered the 5 spinkickers, who deliberately injured other people - fit for extended stay in hospital. After they were gone, things went fine.

Thanks for the info. I wondered about that from the youtube videos. Ah, the evolution of moshing. I wonder what's next after the "wall of death". All out war? LOL who am I kidding? I probably would have cheered a boyfriend on if not joined in if I were in my teens (also remembered as young and stupid).

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:56 am

Never been in a mosh pit. Have no desire to do so. I used to be able to do a halfway decent spinning back kick, though. And a killer roundhouse kick. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 am

crystalswolf wrote:Thanks for the info. I wondered about that from the youtube videos. Ah, the evolution of moshing. I wonder what's next after the "wall of death". All out war? LOL who am I kidding? I probably would have cheered a boyfriend on if not joined in if I were in my teens (also remembered as young and stupid).

It's actually not too difficult to join in as an 'older semester'. I just didn't last much longer than one or two songs before running out of breath :lol:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:00 am

Distracted wrote:Never been in a mosh pit. Have no desire to do so. I used to be able to do a halfway decent spinning back kick, though. And a killer roundhouse kick. 8)

That 'talent' would get ya beat up in a mosh pit before you could scream any expletive ;-)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 am

No worries. Not only have I no intention of ever going near a mosh pit, but my knees won't let me exercise my "talent" anymore. I've got both feet firmly on the ground and a very non-violent disposition. ;-)

I'm glad you had fun at your concert... and that you didn't sustain any major injuries. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 am

Distracted wrote:No worries. Not only have I no intention of ever going near a mosh pit, but my knees won't let me exercise my "talent" anymore. I've got both feet firmly on the ground and a very non-violent disposition. ;-)

I'm glad you had fun at your concert... and that you didn't sustain any major injuries. :D

Hell, no, no injuries - and we had tons 'o fun despite being way too old for all this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Chat”