Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

The Babylonian Thread

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 pm

I got bit by the Babylonian bug again while on vacation, and decided to re-watch the series once again from the beginning. A few years ago I had a review thread up at Brunette Jolene but I only got as far as the first 15 episodes. I have changed them somewhat into mini-reviews. They can be read at my website here for those interested.

I'll pick up where I left off, and continue from there. Feel free to chime in again with your views, of both the episodes to come and what I've written about the past ones. But now, time for Eyes.

1-16 Eyes

While I can commend B5 for dealing with actions that have consequences, Eyes did disappoint in this regard. Sinclair have been warned that his sometimes inconvenient actions will come back to haunt him, they chose a clearly unbalanced and petty vindictive superior officer for the task. And that's when the story fell apart. Sinclair was lucky he could dodge the bullet just because Ben Zayn was crazy.

As we will learn later, Ivanova's fear of being telepathically scanned is justified, and it is foreshadowed here in her dream where she takes the place of her mother. And it was a nice change to see that not every Psi Cops are all bad. Jeff Combs (who we better now as Weyoun and Shran from Star Trek) actually made a sympathetic teep.

And the last scene, with Garibaldi and Lennier zipping past on a motorbike was quite funny.

But all things considered, Eyes only gets a grade of 3 on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: The Babylonian Thread

Postby Distracted » Sat May 29, 2010 1:06 am

Cool. I love B5 and I love your reviews. It's all good. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks!

This might sound heretical on a Trek fan site, but I actually think B5 is superior to Star Trek.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat May 29, 2010 1:30 am

In many ways I agree with you. Does that make me a traitor? ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 29, 2010 2:04 am

If that's the case, then I'm a traitor too.

I'm still a Trek fan obviously, and I can never accept the notion some holds that you cannot be a big fan of more than one franchise at the same time. I recall Niners saying that B5 just ripped off Deep Space Nine. And I happen to like both.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 29, 2010 2:15 am

It utterly astonishes me that I never got into B5 only because my mother has worshiped Bruce Boxlitener (I never can spell his name) since How The West Was Won and drilled it into us girls. It took root in me, I am still a Scarecrow and Mrs. King fanatic. But we never got into B5 for some reason... I'll put it on the Netflix list. I don't buy the one franchise only rule. I happen to like many and I don't think in terms of better or worse, I think in terms of completely different cans of tuna.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 29, 2010 2:27 am

A fair warning if you, or anyone else for that matter, is going to watch B5 for the first time. It starts of slow and doesn't really kick into gear until Signs and Portents and Legacies. And Bruce Boxleitner doesn't come on board until the second season. The visual effects might also seem dated now, but they were a first for televised sci-fi back then, and top notch. I actually think it's part of it's charm.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 29, 2010 2:35 am

That sort of thing doesn't bother me. I mean I am a TNG and VOY fan. As for the visual effects... Heck the Matrix is dated now, but I still find it wicked cool. But thanks for the warning.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat May 29, 2010 9:13 am

Babylon 5! That's a very long time ago. Kind of liked it, but wasn't a big fan. <search memory> I liked the relationship with Sherdian and the alien woman who's name has slipped my memory, the cool designs of the warp ships and the jumps and I vividly remember the addiction of one of the crew members - you felt his struggle, really got me. Looking forward to the reviews, I always find KTR's reviews great to read.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 29, 2010 11:54 am

I know her name begins with a D... Something something that sounds like De-Lyn or something...

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Delenn.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sat May 29, 2010 5:46 pm

I always liked Jeffrey combs in Eyes he played a sympathetic character in the psicore who actually was trying to help Commander Sinclair. And help keep Ivanova's secret.Her fear about being treated and scanned as her Mother had been because she was telepathic.was a theme throughout the series. especially when it came to Bestor causing them trouble in later seasons.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 29, 2010 6:15 pm

1-17 Legacies

Legacies featured the first appearance of one of my favourite recurring characters, Neroon. At first he comes of as belligerent, he is a member of the Minbari warrior caste after all, but we can also see that he is honourable. And what a journey his character will embark upon in the series. I really liked the last scene he had with Sinclair, and another bit of foreshadowing when he tells Sinclair "you talk like a Minbari."

It was interesting to get a more in-depth view of Minbari society. They're not just riddles and mystery. You can tell that this has really been thought out beforehand - one of the great things about this show.

While Delenn's actions in stealing the warrior leader's body might have seem rash and ill-thought, especially for someone like her, it can perhaps be explained by her preoccupation with the coming transformation. The word "chrysalis" is used, and she has been building that device in her quarters for a while now. But she had a nice chewing out of Neroon, which showed us that she can be steely when the need arises. It also showed us the resentment many in the warrior caste have for being forced to surrender. Whatever the reason was, the Grey Council apparently never told them why.

The b-plot with the young telepath girl, Alisa, was also good, again showcasing the different views held by Susan Ivanova and Talia Winters. I liked the resolution that they agreed to disagree and let Alisa decide to go with the Minbari. I would've liked to see Alisa return in a future episode, perhaps meeting Sinclair when he got assigned as ambassador to Minbar, but alas that didn't happen.

I'll give Legacies a strong 7+ on my 10-graded scale. I think this was the first regular episode I watched and thought that wow, this show is something really special!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 29, 2010 10:11 pm

1-18-19 A Voice in the Wilderness, Part 1-2

A Voice in the Wilderness is a great two-parter that introduces us to the Great Machine of Epsilon 3. It is both an action-oriented adventure and a revelation of something that will prove crucial in the B5-verse. While it can come of as something of a deus ex machina device, here it nevertheless serves a good purpose. The machine will not be a trivial thing, something to use whenever our heroes need a bit of saving. It will only be used "when the time is right". In most other stories it would have been trivialized, an all too convenient extra helping hand, but it actually works for B5.

But I'll admit that I think it was a tad convenient that Delenn's old friend and mentor Draal would show up at the time he did, and it was a foregone conclusion that he would eventually become the new caretaker. Still, most stories are dependant on such coincidences that might seem implausible in real life.

The appearance of Captain Pierce and the EAS Hyperion also helps to show us that things back on earth are getting twitchy. As is the news about the rebellion on Mars, which worries Garibaldi because his ex-girlfriend Lise is there. She will come to play a greater role in future seasons. Another interesting bit of information is that he knows about the Psi Corps having a secret base there. They have that for a reason, which we'll learn later.

As for Draal, I'm not so sure his motivations are as selfless as he says. He gets a new lease on life and a new purpose that allows him to discover all the hidden wonders of the universe. Most in his shoes wouldn't have hesitated.

Londo does well here. In fact it might be one of the last moments he really does something that isn't tied to restoring the glory of the Centauri Republic or elevating himself. He seems to have enjoyed this little adventure.

This two-parter gets a grade of 8- on my 10-scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

1-20 Babylon Squared

We have learned previously that the Babylon 4 station has mysteriously disappeared, but little else. Babylon Squared does give us an answer, but it is one that raises even more questions and presents new mysteries. It's probably not coincidental that it is an episode that follows A Voice in the Wilderness. I'm perfectly content with not getting all the information now. It just builds on the great tapestry that is B5.

But apparently future versions of Sinclair and Delenn go back in time to steal the station to be used as a base of operations in a great war. This Sinclair looks much older and I think it originally meant that he would be that old. But when he was replaced with Sheridan, JMS had to alter things and have him age prematurely. The reason why we don't see but just hear future Delenn is now obviously that she will be transformed. The future-flash of Sinclair and Garibaldi fighting unknown invaders never came to pass either. Maybe this was another plot thread that had to get scrapped. Overall though, I think the continuity of Babylon Squared held up nicely in regards to future developments.

Time travel is often a tired staple of science fiction and I commend JMS for having used it very sparsely and in such a good manner as he has. Temporal mechanics and paradoxes give me a headache and I'm grateful that it was never overused in B5. In fact, this storyline is more or less it when it comes to time travel.

Delenn's b-story is no less interesting, as we see more of the inner workings of the Minbari and the Grey Council. Her conviction that her destiny lies elsewhere, back on Babylon 5, makes her give up not just the offered leadership but also her position in that ruling body. The Grey Council, or most of it, doesn't take the prophecy (whatever that is) as seriously as she does. It makes you wonder if they are really aware of all the facts as to why they surrendered at the Line. She says she must study humans, but not that it involved Sinclair in particular.

I also enjoyed the humour in this episode, from Sinclair and Garibaldi's breakfast joke on Ivanova to Garibaldi and Sinclair killing time en route to Babylon 4. And for those that wonder, I fast and then zip. And I absolutely love Zathras. "You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Babylon Squared gets a grade of 9 from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun May 30, 2010 11:01 pm

1-21 The Quality of Mercy

I suppose it was inevitable that there would be a little drop in quality after the former outstanding instalments, but I am a bit disappointed with The Quality of Mercy. My main gripe is with Chekhov's gun, in this case the alien healing device. Generally B5 avoids such cop-outs, but after this episode it is hanging in all its glory on the wall, waiting to be used, and it will unfortunately. It really serves no other purpose.

The episode does raise a few interesting questions about the criminal justice system and the death penalty. By this time capital punishment seems to have been abolished ("A life taken will not balance the loss of another life.") but really, the death of personality, i.e. a mind wipe, is effectively just another kind of death. And while the new personality in the body may live to serve society, it does in no way redeem the original criminal. One can even make the argument that the new person is entirely innocent, so why should he have to become a second-class citizen? Sometimes there are things to be said for old-fashioned justice, as put forward by Garibaldi. This question will be addressed in the future episode Passing Through Gethsemane.

Personally, on an abstract moral level, I suppose I don't approve of the death penalty, but when I look at real life I cannot mourn or regret for some of people that have been executed, and I don't just mean people like the Nazis convicted at Nuremberg. The fictional example in this episode, the psychopath serial killer, surely deserved what he got.

I'll give The Quality of Mercy a grade of 6- on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

1-22 Chrysalis

"Nothing's the same anymore" are the words spoken by Sinclair after this season finale, and how true that is. And the changes will also be permanent, in the B5 universe there are no re-set buttons, and that's what so appealing about this show. Things really change and actions have consequences.

To the unsuspecting audience the assassination of the Earth President was almost as shocking as it was to the characters. In most other shows the heroes would’ve thwarted the attempt at the last moment. But not here, Garibaldi gets shot in the back (he didn't listen to his old boxing friend in TKO) by one of his own before he could sound the alert.

But this is not all, much happens at the same time. They are indeed at a crossroads and after this episode many will take the wrong path, especially Londo. With the help of Mr. Morden and his mysterious Shadows a Narn outpost gets destroyed and the Centauri ambassador, while initially shocked, starts to descend the slippery slope.

The device Delenn has been building turns her into a chrysalis. Her transformation will be revealed at the beginning of next season. Interestingly enough, she defers to Kosh before going ahead, and he reveals himself to her. We don’t get to see him, but we do hear what sounds like flapping wings. The Vorlons seems like patrons of the Minbari.

One thing I didn't like about Chrysalis was the scene when Clark is sworn in as the new President. It was deliberately staged to resemble Johnson being sworn in after the assassination of JFK. That implies the truth of the silly notion that JFK was the victim of a conspiracy and that somehow LBJ was involved (like Clark is here). Please! Keep Oliver Stone away from this.

But I'll still give Chrysalis a grade of 9+ on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Overview of season one - Signs and Portents

Summing up my grades, I get an average of 5,43 which would be 5+. That more or less confirms what I have thought previously. It was a rather average season, with a lot of average episodes and a few clunkers. But it also had a few really good ones when the big arc really kick into gear.

But it does start rather slow, and there are too many stand-alones. But I suppose that was inevitable since JMS had to sell this to a studio that wasn't accustomed to heavily arc-based story-telling. He had to be a bit sneaky. Also, he had to lure in the viewers and getting newbies lost this early on wouldn't do much good. Still, I was one that was won over late in the season when I noticed that this was something special.

Even now, I think that B5 holds up very well. So what if the CGI is a bit primitive by today’s standards. They were ground-braking, especially for televised science fiction, back then and I think it’s part of it's charm. And while CGI plays a big part, it's by far not the most important aspect of B5. That is the story and the characters, and that will always set it apart from anything else. B5 is and will remain a classic. It is a grand epic and this season was just the first chapter, the introduction of the long saga.

Return to “General Chat”