Connor on Stargate Atlantis

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Connor on Stargate Atlantis

Postby Distracted » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:21 am

Anybody see the new episode last Friday? I'm sitting here watching it on TIVO right now. It's the return of Michael. Creepy. As much as I hate to say it about sweet Connor, he makes a very believable bad guy.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Re: Connor on Stargate Atlantis

Postby Dinah » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 am

I've tried to get into Stargate Atlantis, but I just don't find it very interesting. With that said, the episode was way too much of the regular cast walking through that boring metal building and not enough Michael.

CT's character is such a contrast to Trip. Trip was so demonstrative -- lots of facial expressions. With Michael, everything is subtle, controlled. Michael is obviously moving toward the dark side, but underneath it all is a vulnerability that makes him a rather sympathetic character. Maybe it's just because I like CT, but somehow the pile of bodies didn't really make much of an impact. I still sympathized with Michael. He's had his life as a Wraith taken from him without his consent. He is unwelcome in both the human and Wraith worlds.

I know some people think he turned evil too quickly. They wanted him to remain a victim or a basically nice guy who never seems to get a break. But when you're betrayed not once, but twice -- when your own people reject you -- what do you do? Where do you go? It's not like he got fired from his job or tossed out of college. He's literally a man without a country -- or a world.

In expecting him to stay a nice guy, people are also making the assumption that the retrovirus had no long lasting or cumulative effect on his personality. Maybe it does more that turn a Wraith human. Like Dr. Jekyl or the Invisible Man, maybe the drug is slowly taking a brilliant man and turning him into a mentally deranged monster.

There's no question that I like Trip better, but CT is awfully good as Michael. I wish they'd make him a regular. He's light years better than anyone else on the show.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 am

What I don't like about Michael going all bad and stuff is that he's turning into like "Wraith" evil, and they're like pretty much cardboard cutout villains and not as 3D as Michael was at least when he was first introduced, I think he's losing a lot of what made him stand out as a sympathetic character (evil or not, doesn't matter). And I think since he's turning all evil and stuff his treatment and writing on the show (the way we know the Stargates already) are gonna be like all those baddies who are just bad, without the sympathetic angle, with the good guys just trying to kill him like all the rest of the baddies, and of course good guys are the heroes and killing the bad guys (on Stargate) is always like the best/only/necessary solution to every bad guy being bad. So I think on Stargate baddies' sympathetic angles are often forgotten and that's my gripe about him turning evil, not the fact that he's turning evil because depends on writing a character can be perfectly evil but also sympathetic and 3D. So I hope they don't waste that. Confused

Oh and I thought the super-mutant-spacebugs were like totally cheesy and way too clumsy/heavy to even be effective. Kinda like those gigantic robots on Power Rangers (a total Mary-Sue franchise I so completely, thoroughly despise to death Upchuck ) who move so slowly and heavily and clumsily that one wonders what the frell are they good for (absolutely nothing, DUH. Well except for rating from a target demography of 4-year-olds who think bigger is better, robots are cool, violence is cool and big fighting robots are oh-so-awesome even if they can barely move. GAWD I HATE POWER RANGERS. Evil or Very Mad Upchuck )
ImageImage

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 pm

I swear I don't usually stalk Connor from show to show, but I did record this one. I tried to watch it straight through, especially since I've heard good recommendations for Stargate, but I was soon bored and started fast forwarding. I am embarrassed to say I recognized Connor just by his feet and hands in the shot where they panned up towards his face. Right after Stargate I watched a Farscape which was SO much better.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:38 pm

FARSCAPE!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Well I don't know I like both the Stargates, I've been watching them since the beginning. And I like Farscape as well.
ImageImage

Return to “General Chat”