New Trek Sucks So Friggin Hard (Spoilers, Possible Mature)

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

New Trek Sucks So Friggin Hard (Spoilers, Possible Mature)

Postby thecursor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm back now after leaving for my quadren....quadri....four year hiatus, just in time for me to get so mad I'm about ready to do something violent.

This is the new Star Trek Trailer WWTDD (fair warning- The celebrity gossip blog that hosts this bootleg on it's front page is a little racy and I can't promise there won't be sexy pictures and inane commentary and...god that site is awesome) I hate that trailer so much, I now have a desire to go beat up J.J. Abrams. Anyone with me?
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: New Trek Sucks So Friggin Hard (Spoilers, Possible Mature)

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:41 pm

It would only play half of it for me and I don't feel like downloading it, but my first thought is, oh God, do we really need a child Kirk and a child Spock? Wasn't beginning with a child Archer bad enough?

Star Trek usually suffers when people come in and take it too damned seriously, like Robert Wise did in TMP. Oh well. I guess we'll see.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:22 pm

I saw a trailer in the movie theater this weekend. I'm still excited. :?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Alelou wrote:It would only play half of it for me and I don't feel like downloading it, but my first thought is, oh God, do we really need a child Kirk and a child Spock? Wasn't beginning with a child Archer bad enough?

:lol: :lol: Exactly.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Much better resolution now at online now.

And yeah, not that excited here either. I mean, bad boy Jim Kirk, what a terrible cliché! TOS canon tells us he was very serious and studious at the Academy. But I forgot, this is a reboot.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 pm

I'm going to try to keep an open mind until I see it. I confess to being excited that Simon Pegg is in the cast so for me, that was already a bonus. The guy is just awesome.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm

DO NOT WANT!

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 am

:lol:

Uhhhoooooooooooooooooooh, I'm so torn. It's definitely not going to look like Star Trek, I think that's for sure. The thing is, I'm betting that if a trekkie could check their preconceptions at the door, they would probably find it an awesome movie. It's just, 'should it be given the title Star Trek, and should it be included in canon', or COULD it even be included in canon. There are obvious things that could pose problems like destroying certain ships and all that stuff, but what about just character dispositions? Can we say, 'That Kirk doesn't act like Kirk', or the same for Scotty or Uhura or Sulu? Or is there room for the devil's advocate to say, "But they're much younger than we saw them in TOS, these are different personalities."?

I think it could be an awesome movie if it weren't being viewed through 42 years of Star Trek expectations. If Star Trek were being born with this movie, I think it could be awesome, and all of us, sci fi nerds who without this having been born 42 years ago would not be Trekkies but simply sci fi nerds, would probably drool and love it.

It looks like basically someone heard all the clarion calls from corners of the Trekkie fandom for Trek to look and act more like BSG and took heed :lol:. I know I was one who used to say that, that Trek is too sterile, too clean compared to grittier sci fi like BSG, Firefly or even Farscape. Well, for those of us who were thinking that, now we find out if it's what we wanted :lol: .
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 am

Thanks for the much better link!

Well, of course I'll SEE it. I just can't say I'm too excited about a tortured young Kirk. Maybe it would explain all the grandiosity, though...

Takes chutzpah to just call it Star Trek and nothing else. What the hell acronym are we to use for it then? :lol:

S
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:55 am

I think Ellesar's points about checking preconceptions at the door have merit. To me Star Trek's ungrittiness has always been one of it's cheifest charms, though. I find BSG's unending grit wearing. Ah, well.
I'll be there, popcorn and deit coke in hand. :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 am

Elessar wrote:I think it could be an awesome movie if it weren't being viewed through 42 years of Star Trek expectations. If Star Trek were being born with this movie, I think it could be awesome, and all of us, sci fi nerds who without this having been born 42 years ago would not be Trekkies but simply sci fi nerds, would probably drool and love it..

Sorry, but I can't do that. Despite the fact he obviously wants to pretend he's creating the franchise with this movie, he's not. There are 5 series and 10 movies already. I can't check my brain at the door just because something looks "kewl" and ignore everything else.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:53 am

Playing devils advocate: J.J. Abrams has very little control over the film's marketing and this might be the studio trying to mass market a very "Trek" Film. But my first thoughts are...No. Uhura taking her top off is made of fail.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 am

What has me thinking is: Is Star Trek capable of pulling in new fans at this stage? One has to wonder what they're trying to do with this movie, 'cause pulling in new fans to such a well-known and established franchise as Trek is hard. One has to wonder how the long time fans will react to this entirely new approach... especially when it deals with the icons of the franchise, Spock and Kirk. Are they trying to please the long time fans? 'Cause most of them seem somewhat if not completely skeptical and defensive towards this entire project. Are they trying to create a new fanbase? 'Cause they'd have to do something incredible considering they're doing a "prequel". They don't have all the room in the world to play with here. Even if they're young and that could justify them being different, the reference will always be TOS.

Personally, I didn't start as a TOS fan. My first Trek was ENT and from then, I moved to TOS. I'd like to watch this movie, but I don't know if it'll make it to the theaters down here.
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 am

Pitseleh wrote:What has me thinking is: Is Star Trek capable of pulling in new fans at this stage? One has to wonder what they're trying to do with this movie, 'cause pulling in new fans to such a well-known and established franchise as Trek is hard. One has to wonder how the long time fans will react to this entirely new approach... especially when it deals with the icons of the franchise, Spock and Kirk. Are they trying to please the long time fans? 'Cause most of them seem somewhat if not completely skeptical and defensive towards this entire project. Are they trying to create a new fanbase? 'Cause they'd have to do something incredible considering they're doing a "prequel". They don't have all the room in the world to play with here. Even if they're young and that could justify them being different, the reference will always be TOS.

Well, they already kinda went through that when Star Trek: The Next Generation came out. A lot of TOS fans categorically rejected it, because it "wasn't Star Trek." Others kept an open mind and saw its potential, while for other still, TNG was their first exposure to Trek ever.

Granted, it's not a completely fair comparison because that was an entirely different set of characters on a different ship in a different time, rather than a "reimagining" of the original cast and ship. I think Elessar is right in that it's all going to depend on what one expects when one sits down in the theater. If you're expecting Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley, then you might as well forget it. If you go in aware of and accepting that these are someone else's interpretations of the characters and the show, you're gonna be okay. It's just like when some new band does a Top 40 cover of your favorite song. Lots of people won't like it because it's not the same, and others will have no clue about the original.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:26 am

I really don't have time for a long rant as I need to get my ass to work, but I will say that I will go see this in theaters because regardless of my apprehensions, I am a Trek fan. Having said that, this is the sort of movie that annoys the hell out of me because reboots like these--while they bring a whole new fanbase to the fandom--this new influx of fans is usually F-ING annoying. Typically a young crowd that hasn't a clue and DOESN'T want a clue about the original thing. Anyone remember the X-Men movie? Having been a hardcore X-Men and Uncanny X-Men fangirl, although there were things I liked about that movie, there were also things I REALLY did not like and one of the things that irked me was how the artwork in the canon X books began to reflect what was in the film.

Now, how likely and to what extent is that to occur with this Trek film, I don't know, but I can see DarkHorse or someone else releasing a corresponding graphic novel to this movie just for sheer marketing value and because the precedent exists. But I can just see the hordes of noob fans without any appreciation or respect for TOS saturating BBS and the Pit of Voles aka Fanfiction.net with even more bizarre tales of young Kirk/Spock twu wuv and other sillyness :roll: Just my two cents.

::steps off soapbox and shuffles ass to work::
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “General Chat”