The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Romantic things that happen when Enterprise is dubbed

Postby Escriba » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 pm

I had never watched "In a mirror, darkly" in Spanish (for any reason I always missed that particular episode,) but today I've had the chance. And man... The shock! :shock:

Remember the part where T'Pol tells Trip that she has mind melded with him making him sabotage the ship? Well, in the original version it goes like this:

T'POL: I compelled you to sabotage the power grid. After you completed the assignment, we melded again. I altered your memory of what had happened.

But in the Spanish dubbing what she says is:

T'POL: And I compelled you to sabotage the power grid. [OK, everything all right till now.] When all of this ends maybe we could have another [sexual] encounter [And I thought "Wha'?"] I will alter your memory about what had happened [doble "Wha'?"]

I mean, somebody is really romantic or really weird in the dubbing crew :) I don't know if people who has watched the show in other languages have witnessed anything alike.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: Romantic things that happen when Enterprise is dubbed

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Wow. That's a big change all right. A frustrated shipper dubber?

If I wanted to write Hoshi I could imagine a pretty funny story where she starts messing with people's heads during a translation.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:47 pm

It's an international underground TnT shipper conspiracy. :D

I wonder what the guy did with Harbinger? Mighta ended up being HBO material. :lol: :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:04 pm

I wish romantic things had happened on the French dubbed version of Enterprise. Sadly, the dubbing makes me want to throw things at the TV. I've been submitted to a Trip who speaks with a high pitch voice as he hadn't reach puberty yet, a T'Pol who takes a perverse pleasure at looking down at her fellow crewmates and generally sounds like a bitch, a Captain who is so soft in his phrasing that when Trip or T'Pol object to his decisions they come out as spoiled children not listening to their wise parent. I'm afraid the only member of the crew who had a fair treatment was Porthos, and I'm not even sure about that.
The problem with dubbing is so obvious that my father who doesn't speak English and usually likes better dubbing over subtitles enjoys the show much more when he's watching it in English with the French subtitles on. He says that he gets a better understanding of the characters this way.
I'll end my rant with a defense about the usual quality of dubbing. I'll take for example the Stargate series who are wonderfully dubbed. The only things you lose in the process are some jokes and plays on words which don't make much sense in French, so it's really a sad thing about Enterprise and ranks as high an offense to the show than *the_abomination* in my opinion.

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Alelou wrote:If I wanted to write Hoshi I could imagine a pretty funny story where she starts messing with people's heads during a translation.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, "When Hoshi said lousers instead of trousers."

Lys, do you mean the French dubbed version from France? My 4th season is from France :) I have to say I hate the French T'Pol's voice (the Spanish isn't much better), it has no nuances, the only time she gets it right is when T'Les dies. The DVD comes with the German version. I like her voice there, but when she shouts "Trip!" I straighten up, I don't know why.

Ironically, in the Spanish dub of "Harbinger" T'Pol is a little more angry. When Trip rants about how he and Amanda share a lor of interests yadda, yadda, yadda, the Spanish T'Pol says "That doesn't justify your behaviour" instead of "There's no reason to justify your behaviour".
Last edited by Escriba on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Paramount was probably being cheap and short-sighted. What a pity. How fortunate that you are so fluent you can enjoy it in the original.

It's very jarring when you see an actor you're used to suddenly speaking at the wrong voice level, even when you don't have a clue what they're saying.

On the other hand, I really love that effect (and the purposely really bad lip synching) when it's used in Kung Pao movies...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm

You couldn't believe how things change in translation.
TRIP: WE HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF WORK TO DO (more or less).
ITALIAN TRANSLATION: ENGINEERING ARE WAITING ME.
:shock: :? :bitch: :censored:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Asso wrote:You couldn't believe how things change in translation.

That's criminal!!!!!! :bitch:

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Escriba wrote:
Alelou wrote:If I wanted to write Hoshi I could imagine a pretty funny story where she starts messing with people's heads during a translation.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, "When Hoshi said lousers instead of trousers."

Lys, do you mean the French dubbed version from France? My 4th season is from France :) I have to say I hate the French T'Pol's voice (the Spanish isn't much better), it has no nuances, the only time she gets it right is when T'Les dies. The DVD comes with the German version. I like her voice there, but when she shouts "Trip!" I straighten up, I don't know why.

Ironically, in the Spanish dub of "Harbinger" T'Pol is a little more angry. When Trip rants about how he and Amanda share a lor of interests yadda, yadda, yadda, the Spanish T'Pol says "That doesn't justify your behaviour" instead of "There's no reason to justify your behaviour".

Yes, I mean the French dubbed version. I also hate T'Pol's voice. And I wouldn't even know if she gets it right at some time because I refuse to hear that abomination. I suffered through Broken Bow when I bought the DVDs and decided that if the rest of the family wanted to watch it in French it would be without me. I'm so glad I can watch the original version without bothering with subtitles because I hate subtitles. And now, I keep wondering why I'm better at naming warp engines parts than talking about everyday life to a visiting American friend. :lol:

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 pm

Lys wrote:
Asso wrote:You couldn't believe how things change in translation.

That's criminal!!!!!! :bitch:

I agree. They deserve a martial court. :bitch:

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Lys wrote:And now, I keep wondering why I'm better at naming warp engines parts than talking about everyday life to a visiting American friend. :lol:

That happens. When you use "nacelles" in a conversation you know you've watched Enterprise way too much. :lol:

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:20 pm

All your bases are belong to us. :twisted:

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 pm

CX wrote:All your bases are belong to us.
All your bases are belong to us. :twisted:

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Escriba wrote:
Lys wrote:And now, I keep wondering why I'm better at naming warp engines parts than talking about everyday life to a visiting American friend. :lol:

That happens. When you use "nacelles" in a conversation you know you've watched Enterprise way too much. :lol:

Same happens when you insist that your car is bigger inside than outside, you know you've watched too much Future Tense, and when you ride a horse for the first time and keep saying that you can do it because you've seen every John Ford western, you're beyond help. :lol:

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm

These dub changes are hilarious.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”